[Withdrawn] [Taffy] Ligustrum Ovalifolia - 2

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

[Withdrawn] [Taffy] Ligustrum Ovalifolia - 2

Post by Taffy »

Second Small leaf Privet growing in my neighbour's garden ready for me to dig out tomorrow - 1st September. I'm pretty sure this is Root Connected, so could be an interesting one. If not, there are two opportunities with either section - or clump them closer together.
Slprivet2a.jpg
Slprivet2b.jpg
Slprivet2c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on October 31st, 2012, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Taffy] Ligustrum Ovalifolia - 2

Post by Taffy »

No.2 that was dug from my neighbour's garden today and the results of the cut-back. It isn't root-connected, it's a branch growing from very low on the trunk that has also rooted along its length. Whether it will turn into anything decent remains to be seen - can only hope I guess. Note the dates on both newspapers:
JC1Sep111a.jpg
JC1Sep111b.jpg
JC1Sep111f.jpg
JC1Sep111g.jpg
JC1Sep111n.jpg
JC1Sep111s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Update:

Got a lot of new growth on it. This is as it looks today. I'll prune it this afternoon and update the photos.
JC6Dec111a.jpg
JC6Dec111b.jpg
JC6Dec111c.jpg
JC6Dec111d.jpg
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Well, I tried editing the above topic as I did with the other but apparently it won't let me for some unknown reason. So, here are the photos of this one after it's pruning today:
JC6Dec112a.jpg
JC6Dec112b.jpg
JC6Dec112c.jpg
JC6Dec112d.jpg
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Update.

Just gave it a prune today. Still a long way to go from here. Still a lot of filling in, especially on the main vertical trunk.
JC3Jan12a.jpg
Jc3Jan12b.jpg
Regards

Taffy.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

They look to be growing well Taffy, nice one :tu2:
Will these get any carving down the track?
Good luck in the comp, Dario. :)
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Thanks Dario.
Yes, this one will have that scar on the right trunk carved out at least. At the moment it stands out quite proud from the trunk.
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

This one is taking a lot longer than the other one - Ligustrum Ovalifolia - 1 to start producing results, but I'll keep working on it - who knows, it might look good by the end of the year - or the end of next year :whistle:
JC3Feb12a.jpg
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Still coming along slower than the other Small Leaf Privet - but eventually it could turn out quite reasonable.

I'm thinking of maybe separating the two trunks and just using one. If I do decide that, then I'd probably leave them in the same box and develop them separately, then whichever looked the more suitable would stay in the competition and the other would be removed. I doubt if the rules would allow both to be considered because that would mean I'd suddenly have three trees in the comp when I only started out with two (well, I did have three originally but I withdrew one because of losing it to curl grubs). If I do decide to separate them, it would probably be the leaning trunk that I would select to stay in the comp.
JC1Mar12a.jpg
JC1Mar12d.jpg
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Still not sure about this one. It's not doing what I want it to. No matter, I'll persevere with it and see what happens. The right side of the left trunk need to spread out more and both sides of the right trunk need more growth.
JC7Apr12a.jpg
Regards

Taffy.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Latest update:

Still very slow in growing. Certainly not performing like the other one. No matter, I'll persevere and see what comes up. Needs a lot more 'filling in' over the two pads. Overall though, it's still very healthy. This one and the other one I've entered have masses of roots coming out the bottom of the styrene boxes. Pity all that growth below isn't showing on the foliage. Can only hope I guess.
JB5May12a.jpg
JB5May12b.jpg
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

August update.This one still isn't really doing anything and don't feel it is up to a standard suitable for the competition, so I'm withdrawing it.
Could one of the Mods please mark it 'Withdrawn' for me.
Regards

Taffy.

Return to “Non conforming entries”