[Mojo Moyogi] Tree #1 Cork Bark Chinese Elm

This forum contains entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011/2012 that have not conformed to the eligibility criteria, have been withdrawn from the competition or have died.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

[Mojo Moyogi] Tree #1 Cork Bark Chinese Elm

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Better late than never.

Tree 1
Cork Bark Chinese Elm - Ulmus parvifolia 'Suberosa'
From nursery stock obtained from Plantmark wholesale nursery Jan 2009

Current height: 190mm
Caliper: 40mm
Tree 1 front 31.8.2011.jpg
Tree 1 rear 31.8.2011.jpg
Tree 1 front detail 31.8.2011.jpg
Tree 1 front lwr trunk detail 31.8.2011.jpg
Tree 1 height 31.8.2011.jpg
Trunk was originally chopped at where the current LHS lowest shoot is growing above the 1st existing natural bend in the trunk. Chop was done in Feb 2009 after we got home from evacuating due to the bushfires . 2nd chop made in winter 2010 and then in Octover 2010 I was careless with watering over a period of warm windy days and lost the leader, lucky not to lose the tree as every leaf was fried. The tree was chopped to the 1st surviving shoot that regrew and away she went again. In Feb 2011 I removed the overgrowths from where the young shoots can be seen, this was done to prevent inverse taper, the trunk is clearly less tapered than I was intending, but still passable. One of the wettest Feb and March periods on record saw regrowth from these removals barely strong enough to make it through the winter, which luckily was mild for a change. Never been repotted.

More details soon regarding what I am trying to do with this tree in the available time. I have 2 more trees to put up first.

Cheers,
Mojo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on March 5th, 2013, 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: ★ ★ ★
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Non conforming entries”