[Bougy Fan] Bougainvillea

A continuation of entries in the 2011-2012 competition. To take your existing shohin and refine them further over 18 months.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: [Bougy Fan] Bougainvillea

Post by Bougy Fan »

Considering I have had this on a shelf up the back not getting much sun I am pleased with the progress. Think I will wire up the top branch to continue the trunk up but I may end up with the tree being too high - again :palm:
Bougy 2nd Update.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

I wired up that branch but still have to get the rule out to check the height. I am not happy with the mix this tree is in - will repot soon. I am pleased with the roots - starting to come up nicely.
Bougy 3rd Update.jpg
Bougy 3rd Update roots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

I haven't repotted this yet - it is going OK. I am pleased with the nebari on this one but not the growth in particular the branching.
8th Update 2.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well I have this in a bonsai pot now - I felt it would need time to settle in. Also will help with leaf reduction too. Not happy with the location and number of branches but you get that
9TH Update Bougy 1.jpg
9th Update Bougy 2.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Update time - this has had slow progress. I am happy with the way the base and trunk are progressing - but have to concentrate on building some branching
10th update bougy1 resize.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This is the final submission
Bougy 11th update 1.jpg
Bougy 11th update 2.jpg
I am very unhappy with this tree - it has just not flourished as it should have, It is very leggy and the branching is very poor. The mix may be too fine and holding too much water - I will repot it shortly and upon inspection of the current mix will decide on the make up of the new mix. This species does well as a shohin so I will endeavour to continue to improve the tree. I am learning that shohin trees are very touchy when it comes to the mix and even though the post are smaller they still need to drain well. Quite a few more years of development for this tree to make it acceptable.
Regards Tony

Return to “Category 1. REFINE”