[Michael T] Buxus microphylla japonica (Kingsville boxwood)

A continuation of entries in the 2011-2012 competition. To take your existing shohin and refine them further over 18 months.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Hawthorns, Maples, Azaleas, Melaleucas,
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Weston Creek Bonsai Group

Re: [Michael T] Buxus microphylla japonica (Kingsville boxwood)

Post by Michael T »

Final Posting of Buxus microphylla japonica(Dwarf Kingsville boxwood).

Buxus microphylla ‘Compacta’ (Dwarf Kingsville Boxwood)

I have changed the botanical name of the plant as I believed that this is the correct name.
This is the final posting of this Kingsville boxwood bonsai. I am posting three final photos of the bonsai; one on its own, the other with a tape measure so as to show that the height is below 25 cm from top of plant to top of bonsai pot and the third one is on a bonsai stand.
The plant has grown quite a number of new leaves since the penultimate photo. I had to do some pruning to get it back to the shape I wanted. I think it looks quite nice.... well at least to me. I repotted it into a new pot which I think is much better visually. I did this at the end of August 2012. It was still quite cold in Canberra with most nights going below zero and I had to bring it into the sun room at night, and out into the semi-shade during the day time.
The height and shape of this shohin will be maintained as it is throughout the coming years. It will be repotted every 2 to 3 years depending on how compacted the roots have become. This dwarf form of Kingsville boxwood is a very slow grower and I do not see any problems in maintaining it in the years to come. I have enjoyed doing it and I hope it will bring you the same joy looking at it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

Final Posting of Buxus microphylla japonica(Dwarf Kingsville boxwood).

Buxus microphylla ‘Compacta’ (Dwarf Kingsville Boxwood)
This is the final posting of this Kingsville boxwood bonsai. I am posting three final photos of the bonsai; one on its own, the other with a tape measure so as to show that the height is below 25 cm from top of plant to top of bonsai pot and the third one is on a bonsai stand.
The plant has grown quite a number of new leaves since the penultimate photo. I had to do some pruning to get it back to the shape I wanted. I think it looks quite nice.... well at least to me. I repotted it into a new pot which I think is much better visually. I did this at the end of August 2012. It was still quite cold in Canberra with most nights going below zero and I had to bring it into the sun room at night, and out into the semi-shade during the day time.
The height and shape of this shohin will be maintained as it is throughout the coming years. It will be repotted every 2 to 3 years depending on how compacted the roots have become. This dwarf form of Kingsville boxwood is a very slow grower and I do not see any problems in maintaining it in the years to come. I have enjoyed doing it and I hope it will bring you the same joy looking at it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Michael,

Unfortunately your entry does not qualify for the competition as there was no update in the period May to September. Regretfully it has been moved to the 'Non conforming entries' forum.
It's a cracker of a tree and one that I am sure would have rated very highly in the voting.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Yes that is a pity Michael, as this tree I would have to give very good points to.

You can still be very satisfied with a job well done.

Cheers Pup :hooray:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

Steven wrote:G'day Michael,

Unfortunately your entry does not qualify for the competition as there was no update in the period May to September. Regretfully it has been moved to the 'Non conforming entries' forum.
It's a cracker of a tree and one that I am sure would have rated very highly in the voting.

Regards,
Steven

Hi Steven,

Well rules are rules. I did enjoy working on the bonsai and I wish to thank you for organizing it. It is an experience for me first time on the internet. Best of luck to the finalists.

Michael
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

Pup wrote:Yes that is a pity Michael, as this tree I would have to give very good points to.

You can still be very satisfied with a job well done.

Cheers Pup :hooray:
Hi Pup,

Yes I am happy with the bonsai Pup. If not for the competition, I would not have worked on the plant yet as I have others to work on. I have always enjoyed creating bonsais and doing this one is no exception. I am not at all disappointed as it was fun for me.

Michael
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

Kingsville box (b).jpg
Kingsville box (a) Ht. 18 cm.jpg
Height of bonsai: 18 cm.

I am not sure that I am doing the right thing to enter for the 'Refine' category. Am I in?
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1050136a.jpg
There is not much change in the shape of the plant. This is the shape that I wish to maintain throughout its lifetime unless something drastic happens to it. However I still have to post it regularly. It will overgrow, but will be pruned back.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Hi Michael, nice little Buxus! I bought one of these 18 months ago and am keen to repot into a bonsai pot – given theses are evergreen, what time of year did you find best to repot?

Thanks,
Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

cre8ivbonsai wrote:Hi Michael, nice little Buxus! I bought one of these 18 months ago and am keen to repot into a bonsai pot – given theses are evergreen, what time of year did you find best to repot?

Thanks,
Ryan
Hi Ryan,
I have been very busy for the past month or so and have not been visiting the Ausbonsai website for a while. Repotting of the buxus species can be done in Spring when new buds begin to move. Buxus generally are slow growers especially the Kingsville boxwood. They are particularly good for making shohin bonsai as they do not outgrow their shape too quickly and it is easy to maintain.

Michael
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1050443a.jpg
Since the last posting the overall shape remains the same. There are however some minor changes done to it. The overall outline has been refined and some of the interior branches have been pruned to clear some spaces within the structure. The idea is to allow more air to pass through and also makes it visually better.
JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

Hi Michael,
Great job!!! :clap: Love the kingsville (got a few as well) and love your styling - very well done! :tu:
Cheers,
Rudi
JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

cre8ivbonsai wrote:Hi Michael, nice little Buxus! I bought one of these 18 months ago and am keen to repot into a bonsai pot – given theses are evergreen, what time of year did you find best to repot?

Thanks,
Ryan
Hi Ryan,
Have a look at our website at the Nov/Dec 2011 Newsletter :reading: - I've done an article on Buxus which could be helpful for you?! :fc:
Cheers,
Rudi
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Thanks Michael, after looking through this and a few other threads, I repotted couple of weeks ago into a much smaller pot (see how we go in summer :fc: ) but, yes I chose the Kingsville particularly because of it's adaptability to the mame/shohin size.

Seeing yours, it's encouraged me to open the structure on mine up a bit more :yes:

Thanks Rudi, there's some good tips in there, looks like I repotted at the right time but they'll need to be moved into a shadier position ;)

http://www.yarravalleybonsai.org.au/new ... 1%20R1.pdf
Last edited by cre8ivbonsai on September 4th, 2013, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1080115a.jpg
This is the new posting of the photo of the plant. I did some pruning to shape the plant as it had some excessive growth. As I said before, the overall shape of the plant is still the same as this is the shape I am maintaining for it. The only difference if noticeable is the slight increase in width of the stem. I also pruned off some new interior branches which have grown since the last photo.

Return to “Category 1. REFINE”