[Jan] Callistemon sieberi 2

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

[Jan] Callistemon sieberi 2

Post by Jan »

2013-03-09_10.17.52_Callistemon sieberi.JPG
2013-03-09_10.18.28_Callistemon sieberi.JPG
Callistemon sieberi
Original height of stock:390mm (from top of pot to tip of tree - plan to reduce after April 1)
Where you obtained it from: Collected from rural property 2010 (with permission)
Cost of stock: 1 enjoyable afternoon searching and collecting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jan on March 9th, 2013, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Jan] Callistemon sieberi 2

Post by Jan »

2010/08/21 Collected this Callistemon sieberi as one of two dug from the same spot just downstream of the pumping point in Old Shed paddock.

A little history on this plant...

2010/08/21 This plant had a tall trunk but some new growth on the base. Plant was potted into a cut off black plastic pot. Potted in seed raising mix/sharp sand/long stranded moss, mulched with long stranded moss. I had been misting plant, and mulch moss, whenever I visited the shade house, potting medium was kept moist.

2110-11-13 Plant showing no new growth as yet but the existing growth (three small shoots towards the base) appears to be green and healthy. This plane was immersion watered in a Seasol and weak fertilizer (Aquasol) solution.

2010-112-16 New growth! This plant has three new shoots from existing branches!

2011-02-18 New shoots! The plant has since shot new growth on the left (stump) branch and down low on the bend of the Z and seems to be growing well.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Branch chop for this plant today; the longer branches have little taper so I will chop them to try to set them up for Spring growth that should create more taper and ramification.
2013-04-26_13.24.44_Calistemon.JPG
Frosts have started here so I’ll try to extend the growing season a bit for this plant to encourage it to heal and set up new buds for spring growth by placing a poly grow tube over the plant and pot, and positioning it up against the shed water tank to take advantage of the thermal mass creating a warmer overnight micro climate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jan on April 27th, 2013, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

2013-04-26_13.24.44_Calistemon.JPG
As you can see, not much has happened since "the chop" - weather's been much too cold for much growth but recent damp, milder days have me thinking of a repot to see if I can set things up to leap away as soon as possible. I'll need all the growth time I can get to make a significant difference to this plant. Some carving will have to happen on the highest point to "naturalise" the old cut, I'm looking at hollowing it out a bit, making the edges a bit ragged and burning/brushing the inner wood to give a more natural finish. Looks like I'll have plenty to do to keep me busy through winter.

Jan
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Ripper stock Jan!
Look forward to seeing it progress.
Cheers, Dario.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

2013-09-28_16.39.52_Callistemon sieberi .JPG
As the days warm things are starting to move and new shoots appear. Looking forward to some quick growth so that I can have a couple of clip 'n grow sessions during this growing season and really make a difference to the ramification.
2013-09-28_17-28-56_NewShoots.JPG
So far, so good,

Jan.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

While I was "on a roll" on my afternoon with trees, I decided to have a go at the flat stump on this one, started out following the natural line of the cracks that were forming,
2013121613.55.04_Z_Carving.JPG
I wasn't too happy with the result, even burning it has not resulted in the look I wanted; I carved it a but more and reburnt it but it still isn't right. I think I'll hollow out the centre more at a later date (looks like I'll have to find a bit more of that elusive "free time").
20131216_15.31.42_Z_Not_it.JPG
20131216_15.31.27_Z_Profile.JPG
Last edited by Jan on December 19th, 2013, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

I wasn't happy with the results of the carving on this callistemon so I put aside some time today to work on it. The previous session left it too proud and the result just didn't feel/look right.
20140127_09.50.30_CalistemonDrilled.JPG
I drilled a honeycomb of holes into the area of the previous "chop" to hollow it out and try to take more of the bulk out of it.
20140127_12.26.44_CalistemonCarved.JPG
I chipped away the bulk of the material then I used an aggressive carbide cutter in the Dremel type tool to carve the areas to try to get a natural weathered feel.
20140127_12.31.44_CalistemonBurned.JPG
I then burned the area to clean up the "sawdusty" bits, harden the wood and to start the weathering process. I was on a roll with the project and had some more time available so I transplanted into an "Aussie bush green" round pot. I've forgotten where I bought this pot but it had this mark on the bottom.
OliveRoundPotID.jpg
20140127_13.53.57_CalistemonPotted.JPG
I was much happier with the result of the carving and look forward to it weathering and greying out a bit.
20140127_13.54.29_CalistemonPotted.JPG
I'm considering the natural deadwood as the "front" at this stage. I'm happy with the pot/plant combination. Native slow release fert. has been added to the planting mix and the surface dressed with sand from the riverbank collection location. I'll add a bit of fine moss to the sand at a later stage to simulate the wildlife cropped grass that was also in the collection area.

Late this afternoon I trimmed the new growth and applied wine, and pieces of charcoal as "branch spreaders", to let in more light and get a bit more ramification before the winter. :fc:

Jan
Last edited by Jan on January 27th, 2014, 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Jan wrote: Late this afternoon I trimmed the new growth and applied wine,

Jan
I hope you applied the Wine after the carving and burning :?: :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

coming along nicely Jan :yes:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Jan wrote:Late this afternoon I trimmed the new growth and applied wine,
Opps, wire :palm:

Though I am pleased with how it's coming along and did have a wine later...

Jan.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

You have every reason to be pleased, Jan, it's taking on a life of it's own. And can only get better in the next five or ten years. And a glass of something when you're done - life's good!

Gavin
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Hi Jan, I prefer the other front from looking at the pics...of course it is all subjective and viewing it in person may very well change my perspective. You have some terrific stock in this competition.
I realise that you wish for the recent carving you have done to be a feature of the tree, hence the proposed front. If you changed fronts maybe you could make a sort of slightly twisting hollow that starts where you have carved already, but that extends into the lower left of the front I am suggesting so that it can still be a feature?
Anyway, I look forward to seeing this tree at the end of the comp, best of luck.
Cheers, Dario.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Dario wrote: I prefer the other front from looking at the pics
Dario wrote:I realise that you wish for the recent carving you have done to be a feature of the tree, hence the proposed front.
Natures deadwood that appears in the last image is the side I'm looking at as a front, not my carving; I'm happy for my carving to be at the back and hope that it will weather down to be an acceptable solution for the "chop" scar to blend it in with the rest of the tree. I'm more than happy with a gift like the natural deadwood, and plan to make the most of it so while we may have had some confusion over which image was the planned front, I agree with you re preferred front. Im not planning on joining my carving and what nature has done as I can't hope to match nature well enough. Glad you like the stock and thanks for the feedback.

Jan
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Hi Jan, thanks for the feedback. I misunderstood which front you preferred. Yes this front has much more appeal with the movement and the natural deadwood that, as you pointed out, cannot be replicated. I am sure that your carving will weather up nicely with a little time, it is a good solution.
As I mixed up the viewing angle you wanted, the deadwood I wrongly suggested was to try to coax you into considering the other front. Totally unnecessary as it turns out. Sorry for confusing and thanks for the clarification.
All the best. Cheers, Dario.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

20140621_104005_Callistemon.JPG
Settled in well to the latest pot and marking time a bit in the cooler weather.

Jan.

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”