[lackhand] Tecomaria capensis (Cape Honeysuckle)

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

[lackhand] Tecomaria capensis (Cape Honeysuckle)

Post by lackhand »

I found this one a while ago and posted in another thread. Repotted and cleaned up some dead areas (you can see some cut paste from that in one photo), and it has been sitting there since. Nice fat trunk, but I'm really not sure what to do with it. Should be a fun challenge.
IMG_1944.jpg
IMG_1945.jpg
• Species name: Tecomaria capensis (Cape Honeysuckle)
• Original height of stock: 35 cm
• Where you obtained it from: Lowe's (big box home improvement store)
• Cost of stock: $20 USD

In one photo you can see a little acacia I pulled up in front of a weed spraying crew. Didn't have anywhere else to put it, and it doesn't look so good right now, but I'm hoping it will survive. Would be a really nice little mame. :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lackhand on March 10th, 2013, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Karl
Damian79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Whatever stays alive
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Mount Gambier

Re: [lackhand] Tecomaria capensis (Cape Honeysuckle)

Post by Damian79 »

Nice one Lackhand.
I have one of these that has reciently been dug but has no foliage whatso ever. It has a number of new shoots pushing through now but I hope its not just stored energy.

mmm I think you have inspired me.
Last edited by Damian79 on March 10th, 2013, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Learning the Basics........Slowly
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

This thing has turned into a giant bush (for something sitting on a bonsai stand) so I was really happy to cut into it today.
IMG_2015.jpg
IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg
The last picture is my preferred front - it's hard to tell from the photos, but the tree leans that way and I think the nebari looks pretty good from that side. My daughter was sad about the juniper cutback, but I think she almost cried as I was lopping so much off this one. :lol:

Also, the one branch is WAY too long and thick, no doubt about it. But I cut it back as far as I felt prudent for now. I don't want to leave a branch with no foliage, and although these are supposed to back bud really well, it's my first time working with one, so I would rather be a little conservative. If it doesn't back bud, I will probably have to remove the whole thing. Maybe I should anyway. :?: :lost: Time will tell I suppose.

Again, you can see the little acacia mame growing in there. Recovering well from it's rude uprooting.

How is yours going Damian?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Karl
Damian79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Whatever stays alive
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Mount Gambier

Post by Damian79 »

Hi lackhand
As much as I hate to say it, I think mine is dead.
It showed a little growth for a bit, but nothing in about a month. :shake:
Ill keep feeding it through winter and see what happens in spring :fc:
hopefully it can pull through.
Still Learning the Basics........Slowly
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

Apologies for the crummy photo, but there really isn't much to see. This thing is growing like a weed, but not backbudding where I want it to. I'm contemplating a thread/approach graft if it continues to be stubborn. The other option I suppose would be to hollow the trunk, but I don't think the compound leaves will reduce well enough to make that convincing. Plus, at the rate it grows I would have to trim it weekly to keep it looking decent. It's too hot here at the moment to do much work on anything (122F/50C today), so it will continue to return to its bushy form for now.
IMG_2137.jpg
Damian, sorry to hear yours didn't make it. This species is proving to be a little trickier than I guessed initially.
Cheers, Karl
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

It's kind of funny how little this thing has changed. Still no good budding, so I may have to change my plans. Semi cascade may be the go.
IMG_2478.jpg
Cheers, Karl
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

Starting to build up some foliage here, but it seems a bit moody about where it chooses to grow. I've only had success with clip and grow, and I'm debating a defoliation to increase ramification and decrease leaf size once it warms up here. So far I've had very little backbudding, so I'm a bit wary of removing all the leaves. I'm still thinking about an angle change when it comes time for a pot, which I should start looking for.
IMG_2858.jpg
At the moment I'm actually a bit more excited about the ash seedlings growing in the pot, though it will be years before they are anything interesting. Grant's ash workshop has been pretty inspiring.
Last edited by lackhand on December 31st, 2013, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Karl
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

Still not much progress on this. I have defoliated it successfully, and it recovered quick enough that I think I could probably do it several more times this year to help get some ramification. It still has some ugly knobs, and it's still stubborn about backbudding - it will bud on old wood, but there doesn't seem to be any logic as to where or why. Definitely not the easiest species to work with, but I think it will look okay in a few years.
IMG_3046.jpg
Cheers, Karl
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by lackhand »

Final update time. Apologies for the photos, I dearly need a real setup, and I don't even have any display stands. Maybe I'll try making one when I get time. :lol:
IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3593.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg
Overall, I've been pleased with this tree. It took me a while to get the hang of the species, and it is technically more of a vine but I've finally figured out how to get it developing. I think. It refused to backbud where I thought it surely would, so I had to redesign several times. It heals wounds slowly, but I plan to add some cut paste and hopefully get them healed up. I'm pleased with the pot for as long as it lasts - it's a very nice one, but shattered in shipping and glued back together.

So the overall plan is to just let it grow for a few years, heal the wounds, and build some ramification. Oh, and get rid of the wooly aphids I discovered when taking these photos. :whistle: I also learned that if you're serious about a competition, pick a species you already know how to work with. Lost a lot of development time on experiments.
Cheers, Karl
John_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by John_M »

Hi lack hand,

I have a Honeysuckle which I am trying to develop. I have tried to wire some of the new growth (loose) to at least get the branches in the correct position. Unfortunately any further growth on these branches appear to stop. Have you tried to wire any of the branches and what was your experience?

Also, after wiring, back budding in another section of the tree was noticed typically from a past wound. I haven't tried defoliation so I might try and give this a go and see what happens.

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”