[David Willoughby] F. rubiginosa #2

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

[David Willoughby] F. rubiginosa #2

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Species Name: Ficus rubiginosa or Port Jackson Fig
Height: 250mm
Source: Grown from a cutting that was struck in October 2009 from when a nursery bought trree was cut back to a stump.
Cost: Free

Photo's
abPJF214march2013sideA.jpg
Side A
abPJF214march2013sideB.jpg
Side B
abPJF214march2013sideC.jpg
Side C
abPJF214march2013sideD.jpg
Side D

Cheers

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [David Willoughby] F. rubiginosa #2

Hi All,

Being the 1st and work can commence on trees, I thought I would do some work on this one. I am intending on using this one to experiment with by doing work on it outside of the prescribed optimal times.

Here is a photo of it today before anything was done to it with this mornings SMH, I know Steven did say that it wasn't necessary to do so but I thought I couldn't hurt. Also I have to apologise for the poor photos as the lighting wasn't the best.
abPJF21April2013before.jpg
I had thought about repotting it into something larger but with the work I was intending on doing to the top, I thought against it. The only work I did do on it was defoliate it and then cut it back to get some backbudding on the primary branches, along with removing all ariel roots too.
abPJF21April2013Defoliated.jpg
abPJF21April2013Cutback.jpg
While I wouldn't normally do anything like this to a Fig at this time of year, I thought it would be interesting to see how this would react to this kind of work, especially come spring time. Because I have defoliated and cut it back, in an attempt to assist the tree in recovery I have tried to create its own micro environment by covering the soil with spagnum moss and also using a bottom of a coke bottle as a, "The Frugal Minded Greenhouse'. I will keep it moist and each time I water it, it will be with addedSuperthrive (yes, I still have some) until it hopefully refoliates and then I will start to feed it.

Here it is as it sits now;
abPJF21April2013Workdone.jpg
It will be placed in direct sun alongside PJF#1, I will update this again once or if it refoliates.

Cheers

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi All,

Just a quick update on this one. It's been a little over 6 weeks since I cut this back and slowly but surely its putting out new growth, in all the right places for my intended direction.
ab2PJF16May2013A.jpg
ab2PJF16May2013B.jpg
I will update this again in another 6 weeks.

Cheers

David
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi All,

A quick update on this one. Since the last update, I have rubbed off a few buds that were surfacing in places of no use on the trunk, apart from that it has been left alone. Like my other one, in a few weeks time I will start to feed this in prep for early Spring work.
ab2PJF16June13A.jpg
ab2PJF16June13B.jpg
Cheers

David
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi All,

I was going to leave this one to repot in spring but where is the fun in that. Seeing the day end's with a "Y" I thought why not repot it now into a slightly larger pot with some fresh mix.
ab2PJF13July2013A.jpg
before anything was done.
ab2PJF13July2013B.jpg
removed from the pot and the spagnum moss removed from the surface of the soil.
ab2PJF13July2013C.jpg
barerooted and washed. What a wonderful tangled mess.
ab2PJF13July2013D.jpg
trimmed about to go into a tub, still just as tangled but a little smaller now.
ab2PJF13July2013E.jpg
repotted into 50% maidenwell diatomite and 50% potting mix, fresh spagnum put on the surface and given a good water with superthrive.

The plan is a first defoliation at the end of August, 2nd one late November and then to wire it for the first time, provided it has put on the growth. 3rd defoliation mid Feb and re-apply wire. Be interesting to see if it goes to plan but of course is all dependent on growth achieved.

I'll update it again when I defoliate.

Cheers

David
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,,

A quick update on this. I wasn't planning on defoliating it until the end of August but ended up doing it earlier than that for a laugh. The first two shots are from August 10, a before and after. (please excuse the crap photos)
abPJF210August2013A.jpg
abPJF210August2013B.jpg
I was lucky I decided to do the work on it when I did because I found this tiny little caterpillar having a munch on one of the leaves. They seem to be everywhere at the moment for me.
abPJF210August2013C.jpg
*the top of a large bic lighter as a size gauge

These next two shots are from today.
ab2PJF4Sept2013A.jpg
ab2PJF4Sept2013B.jpg
I will update this again when I defoliate again and wire it up, which thats due for in a month or two.

Cheers

David
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Last but not least, an update for this.

It was time for this to be defoliated and wired up and here is a before and after shot of the tree.
ab2PJF21Oct2013A.jpg
ab2PJF21Oct2013B.jpg
Depending on the growth it puts on in the next month or two will determine if it gets repotted before Autumn otherwise it can stay put until August. I plan to push this one more and it will be fun to see how it reacts.

Cheers

David
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Update time for this one, perhaps before the end of this comp I might settle on a front, who knows lol

This is it on the Dec 23, I chose not to defoliate it and only trimmed and rewired it,
abPJF2 23 Dec 2013 A.jpg
abPJF2 23 Dec 2013 B.jpg
It is in need of a good feed, which will be undertaken weekly from now on while its still humid and warm. Here is a shot of it as of yesterday.
abPJF2 13 Jan 2014.jpg
Again, happy how its coming along and will look to defoliate it come late Jan, which I will update then as I might even look to pot it up then as well.

Cheers

David
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Quick update for this, as you can see it didn't get into a pot and I'm undecided when I will pot it. I might pot it up mid winter for shari's and giggles.
ab2 PJF 21 March 2014.jpg
Cheers

David
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Looks Cute David.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Thanks Neli, its a long way off yet as it still has alot of growing to do but I think it has potential in years to come.

Another quick update. With the mild weather we're having at the moment in Sydney, I repotted this one today into an old pot I had lying about. It is potted low and will need to be raised come August/September to expose the nebari. I hope to defoliate it in about 6 weeks and will update it again then after doing so.
ab2 PJF 20 May 2014.jpg
ab2 PJF 20 May 2014 B.jpg
Cheers

David

EDITED: grammar (sorry Neli, I had typed Neil :oops: )
Last edited by DavidWilloughby on May 20th, 2014, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

He! I am freezing here for the past 2 days...and you are talking about mild weather...and I am in Africa!!!! :o
Looking better and better.
I need to check when is the new update for the competition and finals... :lol:
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Final submission for this.

I really should withdraw this, along with my other entries as they finished considerably short of the mark in my opinion but will keep them there as I think its beneficial to see where they are at, even if for a laugh.

I mate a large error with my figs by defoliating them again too late without giving them enough time to refoliate, its not the end of the world as they are all pushing a tonne of new growth, but it just needs time to grow.
PJF2 A 14 Aug 2014.jpg
*14 September 2014 before
PJF2 D 14 Aug 2014.jpg
*14 September 2014 after defoliating and rewiring.

I am happy with the bones it has, but give it a few more years to solidify and it will be much better for it
PJF2 30 September 2014 Ruler.jpg
*ruler shot 30 September 2014
PJF2 30 September 2014 B.jpg
*how it currently stands

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I shouldnt have defoliated it and instead just tip prunded it but its not the end of the world. The intention is to defoliate it once more around December and then let it have its head till next summer.

Cheers

David
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Nice David!

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”