Michael T : Azalea Satsuki 'Shohkinzan'

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Hawthorns, Maples, Azaleas, Melaleucas,
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Weston Creek Bonsai Group

Michael T : Azalea Satsuki 'Shohkinzan'

Post by Michael T »

Azalea 1.jpg
Azalea 2.jpg
Species name: Azalea satsuki 'Shohkinzan'
Original height of stock: 27 cm
Source: Home grown
Cost: zero
This plant was grown from a cutting about 7 or 8 years ago. It has always been in a garden pot. It is about time I do something with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Michael T : Azalea Satsuki 'Shohkinzan'

Post by Michael T »

P1020042a.jpg
P1020047a.jpg
The plant was root pruned and branch pruned. It was wired to shape and put into a bonsai pot. There are still more pruning to do especially at the back, but I will do it after flowering. At the moment it has a lot of flower buds and I am leaving it as it is to go over winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maple
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 22

Post by maple »

If you have the chance to grow Satsuki from cutting again, try growing as a whip and styling from a young tree. Get the trunk and the nebari right and then worry about the branches. Satsuki bud easily so branches can be in the later styling.
Growing for 8 years with limited styling and in that deep pot leaves you with very thick branches and a very "rigid" trunk with little taper. Both very difficicult to correct now but obviously not impossible.
I have seen some very nice Satsuki created from whips and it is practiced by the Japanese. John Naka in partnership with 2 other growers described in detail the process and is very easy to follow.
woody
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by woody »

hi Michael,
Thanks heaps for re-posting this. I really like your styling. Looks very natural. And I love the shape of the leaves.

Plus, a question. I see you live in Canberra, and Orange has roughly the same climate. Do you use blood and bone on your Azaleas? And if so, is the time now?. What colour are the flowers. I noted the grey pot.

You've also given me hope on learning what type of Azaleas I found about 4-5 years ago. I will try and find time to put them in the "ID needed" section tomorrow. I've have never found one similar, til now :fc: . Plus, I hope not to embarrass myself with the styling I've given one of them. I've never posted a picture of any since joining this awesome sight. It's photos such as yours that hold me back. Very jealous!!

Sorry Michael, another question. Are all Azaleas ok to root prune in Autumn? I truly thought late spring. :lost:

So a huge cheers :beer: to you!!
Woody
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

woody wrote:Sorry Michael, another question. Are all Azaleas ok to root prune in Autumn? I truly thought late spring. :lost:
I only do mine after flowering. Interested to hear any one who does them now and why?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

maple wrote:If you have the chance to grow Satsuki from cutting again, try growing as a whip and styling from a young tree. Get the trunk and the nebari right and then worry about the branches. Satsuki bud easily so branches can be in the later styling.
Growing for 8 years with limited styling and in that deep pot leaves you with very thick branches and a very "rigid" trunk with little taper. Both very difficicult to correct now but obviously not impossible.
I have seen some very nice Satsuki created from whips and it is practiced by the Japanese. John Naka in partnership with 2 other growers described in detail the process and is very easy to follow.
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Hi Michael T.

Just for the sake of being a Satsuki nerd :geek:
The Azalea that you are showing is a Rukizon.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

woody wrote:hi Michael,
Thanks heaps for re-posting this. I really like your styling. Looks very natural. And I love the shape of the leaves.

Plus, a question. I see you live in Canberra, and Orange has roughly the same climate. Do you use blood and bone on your Azaleas? And if so, is the time now?. What colour are the flowers. I noted the grey pot.

You've also given me hope on learning what type of Azaleas I found about 4-5 years ago. I will try and find time to put them in the "ID needed" section tomorrow. I've have never found one similar, til now :fc: . Plus, I hope not to embarrass myself with the styling I've given one of them. I've never posted a picture of any since joining this awesome sight. It's photos such as yours that hold me back. Very jealous!!

Sorry Michael, another question. Are all Azaleas ok to root prune in Autumn? I truly thought late spring. :lost:

So a huge cheers :beer: to you!!
Woody
Hi Woody,
I do not use blood and bone on my azaleas. When I repot I use dynamic or rooster booster. They are chicken poo. I find that it worked well with my plants. In fact I use it for all my bonsais when repotting and found no ill effects due to the fertiliser used.
I used to repot azaleas in spring after flowering. This year I have decided to repot them in early autumn when the temperature is still ok. I have so far done about 8 repots of bonsais in autumn and out of which 4 of them were azaleas. They are doing fine so far. Two of my satsuki azaleas which I repotted ( including root pruning) actually flowered after a few weeks. Just spot flowering. Before I repotted them, they have lots of flower buds. I have heard of repotting with lots of buds isn't good for the plant and it may die. So far they are doing very well. I expect the big flush of flowers will come in around October. I am very happy with the autumn repots and will probably do so again next year. To answer your question of root pruning of azaleas in autumn, I think it is all right. Don't over do the root pruning. I had to do about 40 - 50 % to fit into the bonsai pot. Keep newly repotted plants out of the sun. Put under shade with lots of reflected light but not direct sunlight for 2 - 3 weeks before putting them out gradually. The sun could still be hot in autumn.
Hope I have answered your questions Woody. Sorry for the late reply.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

Damian Bee wrote:Hi Michael T.

Just for the sake of being a Satsuki nerd :geek:
The Azalea that you are showing is a Rukizon.
Hi Damian,
I think you maybe right. I have both the rukizon and the shohkinzan and the labels on them have fallen off or faded quite badly in the sun. I thought it was the shohkinzan. I have taken photos of both long ago. I may have to check up on them, but I think you are right. Thanks Damian
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

kcpoole wrote:
woody wrote:Sorry Michael, another question. Are all Azaleas ok to root prune in Autumn? I truly thought late spring. :lost:
I only do mine after flowering. Interested to hear any one who does them now and why?

Ken
Hi Ken,
Yes you can root prune azaleas in autumn. I have done root pruning for some azaleas this autumn and they are doing very well.....new shoots and even spot flowering. This was done in the first or second month of autumn and the shoots should harden enough for the winter which in Canberra is very cold. The reason I did my azaleas repotting is because there is enough heat in autumn to allow the roots to establish themselves before winter sets in, but do it in the warmer months of autumn.
woody
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by woody »

hi Michael,
thanks for answering my questions. Yes, your answers have helped me.
And as far as apolagising for the late reply, I should be apolagising to you for not remembering I had asked you these questions :palm: .Today i actually remembered I had asked for your help, so no apolagies needed. I'm hoping I feel up to getting my [ID] Azalea onto the site. Unfortunately, I'm already worn out after reading some posts in the last hour.
Thanks again for your feedback
Woody
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1050436a.jpg
Had an accident with this plant. There was a cat fight during one cold wintery night and two of my shohin plants were knocked over. Both suffered breakage of branches, main and secondary ones. As a result I have to restyle this azalea. I am not sure I will be keeping the smallest tree on the right. It all depends on the growth and whether the visual effect is better without it. I am thinking of the African pierneef style as well. I haven't done it before. Within one year I am not sure I can succeed. It all depends on the rate of growth during this period, but I am giving it a try.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1080114a.jpg
So far this azalea has a number of flower buds, but no sign of opening. I found that by repotting in early autumn, it puts the flowering period back a week or two as it has happened to my other satsuki azaleas. After flowering, I may think about cutting off the smallest 'tree' on the rhs.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1080242a.jpg
P1080236a.jpg
Since the last photo which was posted on Nov. 18th, the flower bud started to enlarge within 2 weeks. I took some photos as the flowers opened, but this photo was taken at the peak of its flowering period.
Damian thought it was a 'Ruzikon' before it flowered, but now with the help of the colour of the flowers, I think it is a 'Shohkinzan'. I am enclosing the photo of the original labels of the 3 Satsuki I bought in 1998 years ago. From the colours of the flowers, I would say that the azalea plant is a 'Shohkinzan'.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1100725a.jpg
After flowering, I pruned away the smallest trunk on the rhs. Now it is a twin trunk bonsai.

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”