Michael T : Juniperus squamata prostrata

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Hawthorns, Maples, Azaleas, Melaleucas,
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Weston Creek Bonsai Group

Michael T : Juniperus squamata prostrata

Post by Michael T »

[
J. squamata (a).jpg
J. squamata (b).jpg
Species name: Juniperus squamata prostrate
Original height of stock: 33 cm
Source: Garden centre
Cost: $15

I haven't worked on this juniper squamata before although I have worked on a procumbens. I suppose they are practically the same in properties except that the procumbens is more prickly to the touch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Michael T : Juniperus squamata prostrata

Post by Michael T »

P1000216.JPG
P1000215.JPG
P1000213.JPG
I have still to decide at this stage whether it will end up being a cascade/semi or an informal upright. I am inclining toward a semi cascade which I seldom do. It might give me some practice doing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1000236a.jpg
P1050435a.jpg
I have decided to go with the cascade/semi-cascade style for this plant. The reason being it has quite a number of nice branches and it seemed a waste to cut them off and leave only one for the apex and the other for the cascade. This style has multiple cascade branches. I quite like the concept, shape and movement of the branches. I think this is the first time that anyone has done a multiple cascading style with 4 cascading branches (below the rim of the pot). I do not see any reason why this cannot happen in nature. The cascade style is mainly formed by rock-falls and snow pressure on the branches. There are other factors as well, but as I can see it most bonsai cascades are mono cascades. No reason why the weight of rocks and snow do not affect the other branches.
You will notice that there is a piece of plastic wrap around a branch. I did that to stop evaporation and drying of the break which I caused to the branch while bending it. From the look of new shoots growing out in that branch, I think the break is not harming it too much.
Newbie.mia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of qld, toowoomba bonsai group

Post by Newbie.mia »

Well as I was taught the rules are only guidelines anyway lol. I like where you are heading with it. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1080117a.jpg
This juniper has grown quite a bit and a lot of pruning and pinching of needles went into it. It was sort of getting rather unruly and a lot of effort was put in to control it especially in the wiring of the branches. The orientation of the plant wasn't the best in the photo.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1100727a.jpg
The plant within the 3 monthly period has grown somewhat out of shape. I spent most of yesterday restyling it. The apex is looking a bit better than before. The branches at the apex had grown sufficiently allowing me to do some wiring to it. I may still have to tidy up some of the branches and their placements. I am quite happy with its progress so far.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1100853a.jpg
There were small changes in the padding of the branches. I have spent a lot of time pinching out the burnt out 'leaves' of the pads from the previous pruning. I hope by spring, the branches and the pads may be more settled for me to remove the wires.
Michael T
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Michael T »

P1170232a.jpg
This shohin is one of my favourites. It has 5 – 6 cascade branches. I would classify it as a multi-cascade. The reason I did a multi-cascade is because of the beautiful and strong branches in this plant and it was a shame to cut off all except 2 to form a cascade. By logic and nature, such a thing like a multiple cascade could easily happen in the wild. Snow falls, rock falls, light and wind contribute to the formation of cascades on mountain peaks. All these factors do not discriminate between branches to form a cascading one; so why not a multiple cascade? Again, because it is a shohin, the ‘pads’ should not be dense. The future look will not be too different from what it looks like now except the branch pads will look better.
P1170236a.jpg

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”