[bretts] Ficus

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: [bretts] Ficus

Post by Bretts »

This little guy has been going well. I have reduced the top down a branch trimmed and first wire. The lowest branch is left to grow wild for now to thicken up some more.
I also cleaned up the scar on the back a little.

Fresh coat of DL and just a pinch of B+B
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Not much change in this but I figure I better put one up to ensure I comply :shifty:
The wire on the new leader is just about to start cutting in so It will come of in the next week.
fig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on February 9th, 2012, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Another pot bites the dust :palm: This got nocked off the bench a month or so back, the only casualty was the pot. It is now in one of my pots and still going strong.
ficus.jpg
Last edited by Bretts on April 9th, 2012, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Wow i love that patina look that pot has brett, look forward to this fig coming into its own.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

It is now inside for the Winter. I would like to try a light on it over Winter to help it along but normally I just sit it in a well lite room.
bonsai 004.jpg
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

Brett, any reason why it's in such a small pot man? It would develop much quicker, and your scar would heal quicker, in a larger container.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

It is looking a little sad after spending it's first Winter inside.
bonsai 014.jpg
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Still recovering from it's first Winter inside.

Hieght
bc 034.jpg
Final picture
bc 031.jpg
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Love that Pot looking good mate.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Can't remember what glazes I used on this one :palm:
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Bretts, she is looking pretty. Is there a wire at the base of the tree?
Jerry
http://www.bonsaihunk.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Brett,

The competition rules state;
• The final pictures must include at least one paragraph of text describing the final outcome and what is planned for the future of the tree.
• Final submissions must contain at least two photographs, one with a plain background and one with a ruler to verify the finished size of the tree is under 250mm tall.
Please update your submission before midnight Thursday 1st November to ensure you remain eligible for the competition.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Well I would have liked to get more growth out of this tree in the second half of the competition but figs can be very finicky in a very temperate climate. I would have liked to get a light going for the first time over winter but.....
With alot of trimming the fig has had little chance to grow alot of roots hence it still needs wire wrapped around the bottom of the trunk (Thanks for the nice comment Jerry :wave: ) to hold the tree firmly in the pot. As stated earlier this fig was flat chopped as a sapling so the root spread is VERY good and very strong before the competition started, It just needs a chance to grow again. Since fig roots can get very tuberous I think It may even be an advantage at the moment.
So from here I will let the tree grow out most of this season with limited trimimg. But I will still have to trim to avoid some branches thickening to much for the design.
Last edited by Bretts on October 31st, 2012, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Not much has happened here. The fig has sat around enjoying not being prodded and poked but that's about it.
Current hieght is 170mm
The biggest plan for this one will be getting good light over Winter so it can get a good start come spring. I think a new pot as well :D
fig1.jpg
fig2.jpg
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I think I can just Ditto my last comment here (looks like it hasn't grown at all) except it is now inside for the Winter and I will be looking at warming it up and stepping up the Fertiliser ASAP.
june13 026.jpg

Return to “Category 1 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”