Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

[Ryan1979b] - Port Jackson Fig - Entry1

Post by Ryan1979b »

HI, This is my first entry. The trees statistics are as follows:

Species: Ficus rubiginosa - Port Jackson Fig
Collection: I took this as a Branch cutting two years ago and it has been in a the same pot for two years. No previous styling has been done. (which is obvious :D )
Cost: $0
Original Height : Currently as in Photo's it is 380mm
PJ Shohin1.jpg
PJ Shohin2.jpg
I think this might be a challenge but lets give it a go.

Cheers all, have fun and good luck :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on October 31st, 2012, 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typos
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Ryan - Port Jackson Fig - Entry1

Post by Ryan1979b »

Hi All,

As some of you may know I am flying out to Europe for 6 weeks in 3 days. I Greatfuly recieved a consession to style my tree in advance due to the fact that I will not be around for the main period of spring. Not withou consiquences tho as I have to submit my entry in advance to compensate for the earlymark. I appreciate the consession :tu:

Anyway here is a photo of the before and after today. As the rules stated I did trunk chop the fig first tho.
PJ Shohin2 Paper.jpg
PJ Shohin Sept2011.jpg
Cheers all, no I hope they are well looked after whilst I'm away :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

hi mate,

this will be interesting, the only thing I am concerned about is going away for six weeks coming up on this time of year with a fig, you will get wire digging in somewhat, although that shouldnt matter as it will heal well and reasonably quick.

I hope you have shown the person who is looking after your trees how to do the watering and feeding you do. im sure you will have better luck than I did when I left the mother in law to do it..

good luck and I look forward to your progress :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Here is a quick update of my Fig. It survived my Holiday and is going a little slow but starting to show new growth. I will post some better photos soon :tu:
photo.JPG
nick-laing
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by nick-laing »

Can see a bit of wire bite on some of the those branches mate.
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Hi All,

Here is my current styling of my Fig entry. A bit of a repot and style has been done but I think this is going to be a dificult one within the time frame. The leaf reduction will the hardest to do, although I don't want to push the tree to much :(
7-01-12 Fig.jpg
7-01-12 Fig Vert.jpg
Cheers Ryan
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

A quick update on my fig, I added a bit of wire today & I think it has a bit more direction now. Still leaf reduction before the submission date will be an issue :fc:

PJ Shohin 23-02-12.jpg
I think it is currently about 240mm high so I don't have to much room to move with the crown.

Cheers

Ryan
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Just a quick update on my tree before the winter starts. Lets hope I can defoliate it in time this spring :fc:
PJ Shohin 17-5-12s.jpg
Cheers

Ryan
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

PJ fig update, some slow growth over the three months but nothing special
PJ Shohin 15-8-12.jpg
Cheers

Ryan
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Thats a decent sized cutting mate, what month did you take it in?
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

I have had the cutting for a bout 2 years and never done anything with it as I was lost what to do. Once the shohin comp came up I decided to use that for inspiration :) I have a few larger ones from the same tree up to about 150mm dia. I too my larger cuttings near brach junction where they flare out a bit to try and get a bit more natural tapper. Wasn't the case with this cutting tho. Took all the cutting in late november, put them in a green house and left them for a few months

The tree from where I got my stock and the little nurseries I made. Ignore the root over rock images that was a total fail :palm:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2231

A few months later out of the green houses

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3527

Cheers

Ryan
Last edited by Ryan1979b on August 16th, 2012, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

Ryan1979b wrote:I have had the cutting for a bout 2 years and never done anything with it as I was lost what to do. Once the shohin comp came up I decided to use that for inspiration :) I have a few larger ones from the same tree up to about 150mm dia. I too my larger cuttings near brach junction where they flare out a bit to try and get a bit more natural tapper. Wasn't the case with this cutting tho. Took all the cutting in late november, put them in a green house and left them for a few months

The tree from where I got my stock and the little nurseries I made. Ignore the root over rock images that was a total fail :palm:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2231

A few months later out of the green houses

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3527

Cheers

Ryan
Wow thats cool, iv had 2 hard wood cuttings strike for me ,viewtopic.php?f=3&t=953&p=109332&hilit= ... od#p109332

These were by pure accident.

And i took a few before winter viewtopic.php?f=134&t=11524 , just because the opportunity was there in the form of a very patient and understanding council worker lopping low lying branches from a largish macrophylla :lol:

Whats your propagation mix made up of and in what ratio?
What % shade cloth do you have over your green house?
Do you use gel, powder, honey or nothing to strike?

This year i have quite a few tree's picked out around newcastle to take cuttings from, im even going to attempt to take something thats about 300mm wide and about 250 tall. Let me know if you want any thing and ill be happy to hack it for you.
Or even organize a group raid with other members from the area?
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Hey,

I wasn't to sientific about it either, I also knew the tree was going to be removed so I had to move in fast :D

Propagation mix was straight out 100% propogation sand, nothing else. for the nursery i just used styrofoam boxed made some corner supports and wrapped it a few layers of cling wrap. I kept them in a partially shaded place as it was middle of summer, especially trying to avoid direct arfternoon sun and made sure they didn't dry out but still were not to wet. I did use some root hormone powder, not sure how much it helped though.

I found that once I took them out they ony produced one or two main roots but over time they had shot a lot more out. I think I had about a 80% success rate on the large cuttings which surprised me :tu:

Here are some images of my two main cuttings today, I havn't done to much styling yet, just a bit of truck cutting and minor branch selcting/trimming. This year I will get right into the styling of them. Especially the first tree with pleanty of foliage to work with. They also need a mojor root prune, I almost needed a crowbar to pry them of the bench :D

Tree 1
DSC_8161s.jpg
DSC_8164s.jpg
Tree 2
DSC_8165s.jpg
DSC_8166s.jpg
I reckon just go for it if you have the change

Cheers

Ryan
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

Hey Ryan,

They look great, i especially like the first one its going to make a bonza banyan tree. So do you think the aerial's helped them strike better or quicker?
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Ohhh...Noooo.

I was away over the weekend and my tree was in a small green house which which I normally control depending how hot the days is. Anyway long story short a lot of the leaves were cooked. I defoliated all the burnt leavse and any other leaves that fello off easy. It ended up being about 90% of them. Tree still looks in relatively good health with new tip shooting and a few leaves left on the extremeties of the branches.

Hopefully this will act as a partial defoliation which I was going to do in about two weeks anyway. Fingers crossed it bounces back ok, I have been feeding it fairly well the last 4 weeks to promote strong growth :fc:

Return to “Category 1 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”