Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

(Withdrawn)[Jan] Callistemon sieberi 3

Post by Jan »

2013-03-09_11.57.35_Callistemon sieberi.JPG

Callistemon sieberi
Original height of stock: 52mm (from top of pot to tip of tree - plan to reduce after April 1)
Where you obtained it from: Collected form rural property (with permision)
Cost of stock: 1 enjoyable day searching and collecting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on June 22nd, 2014, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Withdrawn due to non recovery after repot
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Jan] Callistemon sieberi 3

Post by Jan »

A little history on this one...

2010-07-25 Callistemon sieberi (subsp. polystachyum?) is a very old specimen. A possible Sabamiki (hollow trunk) bonsai. The original trunk had fallen and struck root at a bend in the trunk. One broom handle thick root with a cluster of roots about 10-12cm from the trunk comes off at almost right angles to the trunk; there are also several roots emerging from around the base of a smaller trunk and a few random roots elsewhere.

The bark on the trunks is ancient with moss and some lichens. The main trunk is approximately 20-25cm tall, hollow with a hole through to the other side. The dead wood has great character. The smaller trunk also has great old bark and character.

The tall shoots on the trunk were cut back to those bearing leaves closest to the trunk (still very tall – 1metre) with hopes that they will shoot lower down to allow the apex to be significantly reduced. There is also one small shoot coming off the old trunk low down (only the top shows above the potting mix in its pot) and another longer shoot (10cm long?) coming off from the large trunk about a third of the way up from the base/cut.

The plant was planted in seed raising mix, sharp sand, long strand moss media, after painting the exposed cambium layer with hormone jell, and watered in with Seasol. It is planted in a hanging basket to accommodate the broomstick root until the plant sends out new roots. The broomstick root was scored on the underside with carving tools to expose a sizeable area of cambium and hormone jell was applied.
Later it was slip potted into a green trough for better drainage and space on shelf.

2010-12 Tallest branch cut off to make the plant more manageable.

2011-02-18 Plant has sent out new shoots around and on existing small side shoot and at the junction with the small secondary trunk.
2011-02-19_16.05_CalistemonSieberiSabamiki.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jan on March 9th, 2013, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

This is some fantastic stock, Jan. Can't wait to see what happens to it during the competition! :yes:
Cheers, Karl
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

Ripper jan this will be in the running for sure .
Look forward to watching it progress
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Gave this plant a branch chop today to let it start to set up for Spring. The branches could have been trained but I preferred to try for more taper and ramification by chopping them.
2013-04-26_13.28.29_Callistemon.JPG
2013-04-26_13.29.00_Callistemon.JPG
Frosts have started here so I’ll try to extend the growing season a bit for this plant to encourage it to heal and set up new buds for spring growth by placing a poly grow tube over the plant and pot, and positioning it up against the shed water tank to take advantage of the thermal mass creating a warmer overnight micro climate.

Jan
Last edited by Jan on April 27th, 2013, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Love the timber on this one Jan! How tall is it now?

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Steven wrote:Love the timber on this one Jan! How tall is it now?

Regards,
Steven
It is just under 270mm (see the ruler in the image) at the moment so it will have to loose a bit of that tall structure near the ruler to fit the comp but that should be to the advantage as that narrow bit is a bit "straight and tall" to blend in with the overall design.
2013-05-29_16.42.12_Callistemon Sieberi 3.JPG
2013-05-29_16.43.28_Callistemon Sieberi 3.JPG
Not much is happening with growth at the moment; the icy weather we had been having slowed everything to a crawl there. We've been getting some damp, milder weather lately so I'm tempted to do that size reduction work so any jolting of the plant will be out of the way before I repot it. Repotting is on the list sooner rather than later to see just what I have under the soil (it had few fine roots on the main trunk, only a broom handle root going off for a hand span to a bunch of fine root when collected); when it was potted on collection I scraped the base of the trunk and applied hormone powder and honey so I hope that the branch growth it had put on before the chop is an indication of some good new roots on the main trunk. :fc: It has been fed and watered since collection without any other disturbance until the branch chop.

Jan.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

2013-09-28_16.41.11_Callistemon sieberi .JPG
The weather is warming (well, most days) and things are starting to move for spring. I had my fingers crossed and have been rewarded with a good show of buds (soon to bee shoots) at last year's leaf junctions. I've done a bit of work to reduce the overall height and am now down to about 220mm so I have a bit of wriggle room positioning the tree when it comes time to re-pot .
2013-09-28_17.30.47_NewShoots.JPG
I'll try to push growth along when the weather permits and try to build a bit of clip 'n grow ramification. What I find when I lift it later for a re-pot will decide the pot I move it too (this plant had only scanty roots on the main trunk and a straight thick root off to the side with a "fluff" of feeder roots at the end -here's hoping for improved roots on the trunk!)

Jan.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

While I had the carving and burning tools out, I decided to tidy up the recent carving on this one and harden up some of the wood in the hollow as well as tie it in with the carved pieces where I had reduced the height.
20131216_05.29.26_StumpBurning.JPG
It is coming along well so far and has been trimmed a bit to encourage more ramification.

Jan
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

A cool rainy afternoon seemed an excellent opportunity to do a re-pot on this Callistemon. The first hurdle was to slip it out of its trough and see just what it had, root wise. When collected this stump had little or no roots near the base, just one broomstick straight root out to one side terminating in a mop head of fine roots. Roots peeping out of the base of the trough were encouraging.
20140215_14.02.18_Callistemon.JPG
I cut off the broomstick root to encourage the others and trimmed the remaining roots to a useful length.
I had selected a round, deeper, dark brown, unglazed pot for this plant, not idea now of where I bought it but it has these markings on the bottom.
20140215_14.37.26_PotID.JPG
I think that the colour of this pot frames the whitish bark well and the depth allows for future root growth and will help to keep the roots in a moist state while the plant adjusts to the loss of its dominant root. I planted this callistemon into a well drained mix that this type seems to be happy with (well, they were collected growing in sand and gravel on a riverbank). The plant was wired into the pot and slow release fertiliser pellets added. The plant was positioned a little higher in the soil to show off the natural hollow and dead wood.
20140215_15.22.49_CalistemonFront.JPG
20140215_15.2424_CalistemonBack.JPG
As you can see this one is still under the height limit for now; I may grow this plant a little larger in the future as I build the branches, but not so big as to detract from the natural hollow and the sense of age that I feel it has. The plant was placed into a sheltered, shady area to settle in and grow new roots.
Last edited by Jan on February 15th, 2014, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by trident76 »

Very nice Jan,
The tree seems to have growth from near the base, are you planning to keep this to form a second trunk or similar? Or could you possibly remove this?
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

I'm planning on keeping it, Trident 76. As you can see in this image, the growth is some way above the base on both the main trunk and the side trunk, and since the photo, has been angled away from the trunk and the hollow on the main trunk. The finer branches have all been spread to encourage further ramification.
DSCF6354.JPG
In nature this species is often a multi-stemed large bush and while I will not be allowing it to take on a bush habit I will be encouraging more branching and hoping for a good show of the lemon, tipped with pink, flowers this one can bear.
Jan.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

This plant has not taken to re-potting. I thought that there were plenty of roots on the main trunk, so off with that heavy side root seemed like the way to go.

These are usually tough plants but this one is Not Happy! Its leaves are in the process of dying off, all turning paper bag brown. It is getting plenty of water, and is treated the same as the others that haven't missed a beat since re-potting, so I'm trying to keep my hopes up.

Nature has created a wonderful stock plant and I'd hate to loose it now! I've got everything crossed in the hope of shoots somewhere :fc:

Jan.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Got a chance to take an image of this plant today; you can see what I mean by
Jan wrote:This plant has not taken to re-potting.
20140325_082831_Calistemon.JPG
As I said, its still not dead yet and I have my :fc: for some shoots. This nice damp spell may even assist with recovery - nothing matches the "herbs 'n spices" that come with rain.

Jan.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Please remove this one from the comp - IF it ever reshoots (and I still have my fingers crossed :fc: as they can do so long after you'd think possible), it will not do so in time to make anything of it before the end of the comp.
20140621_104210_Callistemon.JPG
Still a sad and sorry stump. :palm:

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”