Species: Clerodendrum inerme
Height: 50cm
Source: Cutting
Cost: Free
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Cutting struck April 2010, ground grown till Oct 2012 when it was dug & chopped for a friend who changed their mind once it was growing strong, it's since been a bit neglected on the bence & needs a good feed & slip pot to get some good growth happening. Its an uninteresting trunk but has the possibility to make a tree with minimal visible scarring :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on September 23rd, 2013, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: [MattA] Clerodendrum inerme

Post by MattA »

Growth has stopped for the year but with a string of warm nights predicted I wanted to get this slip potted and hopefully get some root growth to push this along come spring. Timing is good as the roots have filled the pot but not started circling so I was able to just drop it into the bigger pot & fill around without disturbing any. The top dressing is chopped dry Tillandsia usneoides to protect the developing surface roots.
rp1.jpg
rp2.jpg
rp3.jpg
As I have only done rootwork I hope this is ok by the rules to have done so before April 1, if root growth is strong I will make a start on styling mid winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Root growth has been strong & it is firm in the bigger pot, colour in the foliage has also improved. Now night temps are dropping into the teens I am bringing it in & returning to its post in the morning, its happy enough to even start growing again. Its day time digs might have something to do with it, the pot is always nice & warm when I bring it in.
Stand.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

MattA wrote:Its day time digs might have something to do with it, the pot is always nice & warm when I bring it in.
Probably likes the company as much as the warmth. :lol: Cool statue/sculpture.
Cheers, Karl
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

:lol:
When I found the piece at a local recycling yard I had to have it, I had to find a new home for the lilac that used to live on the terracotta post but it was the perfect home for him. I should research it as it is reminiscent of work I have seen exhibited at 'Watt Space' http://www.newcastle.edu.au/group/watt-space/ I am seriously considering going back to school after 23yrs for the reputation it has built in the arts, particularly with ceramic & paint sciences.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi All,

although I know that this is no longer a "Contender" in this competition, I thought I would post an update for it as it has found a new home since the last post. At the generous request from Mice, I was kind enough to open up my arms and take on the burdening tree from his hands. No more anguish for Mice with having to worry about bringing it in each night from the cool.

That was a couple of months ago when we caught up, upon arriving home, I put it into a largish Bonsai pot (forgive me as I had run out of tubs at the time) but this is how it sits now, just for posterity. (well technically as @ 30th Aug 2013).
Clero 30Aug13.jpg
I am still considering trying to work with some of the existing branches or cutting it back to a bare trunk. I will also consult the original owner of the tree, Mice, as he has brought it to this stage, I think its only right to consult him in the due process from here out of respect.

Seeing as thought this isn't an elligible tree, I intend to update it regularly within the times as per the comp, although I do think it needs to be moved to the ineligible section if thats possible by someone.

Cheers

David

EDITED: Syntax/Grammar
Last edited by DavidWilloughby on September 23rd, 2013, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

Thanks David, great to see an update. Maybe they will allow you to transfer the tree to your name. :shake:
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi Hacky,

Mate to be fair, I do not expext that, nor want that to be honest. Perhaps in the next time around's, "Refine" category, if it would be allowed, then I would be very humbled by that, but I honestly do not expect that this should be allowed to continue as an eligible entry for the "Create" section.

It is my first ever clero and am excited and nervous at the same time to work on it. Mice has grown an amazing foundation and I don't want to let him down.

Cheers

David
Hackimoto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kurume Azaleas,Figs, Wisteria, Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 53
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast, Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Hackimoto »

Fair enough, don't be too scared of it, just don't let frost get at it.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: {disqualified}[MattA] Clerodendrum inerme

Post by kcpoole »

Hi David, good to see you continuing development of this tree.
You are correct that it will not be now eligible for this comp, and I have moved to the withdrawn thread where you still update it.

When we start the next Continuation Comp, you will certainly be able to submit it as an entry in your own right as there have been other comp trees traded and submitted by the new owners to the next comp

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on September 23rd, 2013, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Ken, forgive me for the late response to your post, thank you for the clarification. I will look forward to it. Cheers for that mate.

For the progressive sake of the tree I thought it should be updated.

I cannot recall the exact time but it was mid spring when I cut it back as it was in good health and starting to put out some good growth. I thought I had a pic of when I did that, but for some reason can't find it. This photo is from Nov 25 and all growth was since the cut.
Clero 25 Nov 2013.jpg
It was fed well and New years eve, after consulation from its previous owner Mice, was advised they don't mind to be defoliated so here is the before and after shots.
Clero 31 Dec 2013 A.jpg
Clero 31 Dec 2013 B.jpg
and after wired up,
Clero 31 Dec 2013 C.jpg
I can't believe how quick they grow, its been only 11 days when this next photo was taken since being defoliated and this is the growth on it,
Clero 11 Jan 2014.jpg
Cheers

David
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hi all,

Thought I would post an update for this tree as I was just out taking some progress shots of trees. I am genuinely amazed at the growth this has put on since moving south to Sydney, I could only imagine the growth this species puts out in Qld which would be double to that of what I have achieved.

Since it was last updated I have rewired it again prior to any wire biting in as it was close to, I can envisage me doing it again in a months time.
Clero 2 March 2014.jpg
* 2 March 2014

It's going to be interesting to see how it responds over the coming months when things start to cool down for me, I can see it going into the shadehouse for protection from frosts and I do hope its not going to be one that has to be brought inside every night (similar to what Mice was doing over winter last year).

I will update this again in a few months.

Cheers

David
izzykay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by izzykay »

looks great!
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Thanks Izzy, appreciate the kind words. It has a long way to go yet especially in the crown, but I am happy how its progressed since it came into my possession.

Cheers

David
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Yep.

Good work David.

Thread is clear indication that this tree is coming along in leaps and bounds.
Starting to look like a real Bonsai now.

Love these progress threads they are really helpful - Keep us updated.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”