dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

{not updated}[dansai] Ficus sp. No. 1

Post by dansai »

This is the first of my entries. Will probably need the remaining time for submissions to get access to the others having just moved house. (Even if it was only less than 50m)

Species: Ficus sp. (Probably F. macrocarpa or F. rubiginosa)
Origin: Nursery I do some work at
Height: 800mm
Cost: $0
Ficus1 First.JPG.jpg
Ficus1 Close trunk.JPG.jpg
This was acquired from the nursery where i do some work at as part of my pay. I have scored some awesome large material and many smaller plants like this fig. It was trunk chopped and flat cut below a few fine roots some time late last year. I recently removed some branches and carved out where the trunk was chopped with the aim of growing a large bonsai from it.

I have never been happy with the straightish section above the interesting base (8cm across at soil level) so will chop it much lower and select a new leader and first branch from the result. I'll probably pot it into a larger container to get some strong growth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on April 9th, 2014, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [dansai] Ficus sp. No. 1

Post by dansai »

I was going to trunk chop this one lower a few weeks ago when I entered it as that was allowed, but I'm glad I didn't now. I would have had to wait for new branches which would have had little chance to develop before winter, so I thought,

Why not use what is already there? and try a new technique at the same time?

This is my first attempt at thread grafting. I get better branches exactly where I want them. I will cut the top off after they have set and build the top from there. I also repotted into a larger pot with control release fert and a good soak in Powerfeed and Seasol.

Roots. Not a lot of roots. Was flat cut not that long ago.
1 April 2013 Roots.jpg
Threaded
1 April 2013 Thread Graft.jpg
And with a bit of wire for movement. Hard to see in the photo as most is from in the horizontal plane.
1 April 2013 Thread + Wire.jpg
Now grow. :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dansai on April 1st, 2013, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Quick update

Sorry for the photo quality. Just had a new baby and in the process of moving my nursery.

Nothing much to report other than some growth. Looking forward to the warmer weather.
June 27 2013.jpg

dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Not a lot happening yet. Few more leaves. Maybe?
image.jpg

dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Still slow on the growth. Unfortunately I have been away and then very ill so care of my plants has been minimal. Couple that with only about 50mm rain since July and only 65mm in June, an empty water tank and no town water and all my plants have suffered. :palm:

I was hoping by leaving growing tips I could encourage the branches to thicken faster to complete the thread graft but decided to remove the tips to start some branching. I also removed the top and will discourage strong growth anywhere above the grafts to divert energy to the lower branches. May not get enough happening to make it worthy of the comp, but now I have some water and with good rain heading our way, :fc: I can have a :hooray:
Nov 10-2013 -1.jpg
Nov 10-2013 -2.jpg

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”