Favorite Species: Casuarina, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 5

[Magzy] Juniper Squamata

Post by Magzy »

Stock, Juniper Squamata
Height, 190mm
Cost, $40
Purchased from Red Dragon Nursery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Magzy] Juniper Squamata

Post by Magzy »

First style and update.
My plan for this juniper was that i had no plan and i just ripped into it to see what i would get out of it. Leaving it to try and and thicken up the trunk i feel would of been a waste of time as four,six or eight months wouldn't of done much to help it so the first step was to get the basic bones of the tree. Most of the foliage has been taken off and has made my hands rather itchy for a few days but if it wasn't needed it had to go. I have potted it up but have not taken a lot of root of yet and it did have a semi ok nebari on it but that has been covered up because of the new angle of the tree. The tree is to small for the pot and it has not been wired in so i have used a few rocks on top to help hold it in and to also give it some balance. Current height of the tree from soil is 110mm and chopstick is 260mm. Tree will be left now to gain strength and fed seasol and the next stage will be to refine and work on crown. First style was done 5/4/13 and repotted on 6/4/13.
Cheers Mark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

So cute!
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Magzy »

Second update on tree,
It is now just over three months since the first style of this juniper and over the weekend i have done a bit of tweaking with the movement. This is the first bit of work i have done since last update other than a tiny bit of pinching now and then and rubbing off any unwanted shoots. Still working on the branching of the tail and crown but happy with where it is at now, the new rock on top is helping to hold the tree down and give balance to tree and pot. The first photo is of the back but could be a new front after studying photo and seeing a nice root structure at the base, second photo is of the front. I took photo's beside a window with a towel and rug backdrop so they are not the best but give a better view of tree and movement. Tree has been very easy to work on and i will enjoy working on it in the future, will let it rest now in ready for new spring growth.
Cheers, Mark
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Magzy »

Not much done on this, last night i thinned it out and cleaned it up for a photo. It has suffered a bit of die back down on the tail but the top part is going strong. Not much more to report as nothing has really been done to it.
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Magzy »

4th update,
Tree has been doing fine i have been pinching the top a lot to push energy into the tail to keep it strong. No wire on the tree at all as i have put a lot of dead wood into now and letting it go free to recover until i wire up again. Starting to get some refined branching inside it which will look good when rewired i hope.
Cheers, Mark
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Good stuff Mark!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Styrax,juniper,pine,anything that has a leaf on it
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsaiempire.com

Post by raewynk »

Looks so graceful.:sad:

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2
My grey hair is my solar panel, as with the leaf on the bonsai is theirs.
Mount Nasura
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Mount Nasura »

This is a very natural looking tree. Great use of jins and shari. I like this tree. :yes:
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Magzy »

Another pic from this morning with a nicer photo angle and the rock again but upside down. I have a different rock that goes really well with the tree also and gives a more rugged Australian feel to it.Tree will stay in this pot and displayed with rock, i will raise soil level up again latter.Almost one year... Thanks guys,
Mark
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Magzy »

I have been making a few stands these last few weeks and thought i would try some photo's with them. I liked this pic and have decided to update the progression of this tree with it. I will be making a cascade stand for it soon but this was the only setup that looked ok with the tree. Always trying to better my photography skills but man its hard to get the light right with what i have. Still bummed i missed an update to stay in comp but buying my first house was worth it.
Cheers Mark

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”