Righto,

A re-post of my original pics to get things started
image6.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg

The tree is currently getting about 4.5 hours of direct sun a day, my yard is pretty flexible - there are options for morning or afternoon sun, under 70% shade cloth, or total shade if needed.
Wind is only a problem when we get serious northerly winds over summer, during that time my best stuff is moved up against a wall to totally block the wind - sacrificing a few hours of sun.
My fertilising is usually alternating seasol and charlie carp every week during growing, seamungus and miracle grow slow release in soil mix and has been dynamic lifter in fertilser cages - but im switching to sudden impact for roses this year.
New photos of the base - post a slip pot, plus tales of the roots to follow.

H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, quince ....most things really
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: [haydenmc] Ash eWorkshop

Post by Haydenmc »

So this guy seems to have started life as 2 trees and has basically fused to one.
The box I pulled it out of had some roots growing into the foam, i just rinsed off some of the mud put a layer of substrate about 2cm deep into this new box and slipped the tree in. Wired into place and topped off the mix.
there is a mass of feeder roots probably 3cm deep almost the entire length and width of the box - so it will need some good root reduction work eventually.
Loved the peg idea so i have jumped onboard - the i see the white peg side as the front because it shows a fairly harmonious movement of the 2 trunks.
pre 030.jpg
pre 031.jpg
pre 032.jpg

Some pretty ugly pruning scars that need attention
frontbase.jpg
cheers

H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Haydenmc »

:bump:
Ready for school to begin, wire and tools clean sharp and ready.
Cheers

Hayden
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Haydenmc wrote:So this guy seems to have started life as 2 trees and has basically fused to one.
The box I pulled it out of had some roots growing into the foam, i just rinsed off some of the mud put a layer of substrate about 2cm deep into this new box and slipped the tree in. Wired into place and topped off the mix.
there is a mass of feeder roots probably 3cm deep almost the entire length and width of the box - so it will need some good root reduction work eventually.
Loved the peg idea so i have jumped onboard - the i see the white peg side as the front because it shows a fairly harmonious movement of the 2 trunks.
pre 030.jpg
pre 031.jpg
pre 032.jpg

Some pretty ugly pruning scars that need attention
frontbase.jpg
cheers

H
Hi,

I also agree with your choice of front. The taller(or soon will be) trunk is upright and the shorter(or soon will be) trunk is forward, leaning sideways and forward.

The 2 very light roots on the surface to the front could probably be removed now with no worries. Leave the heavy one to the left till repot time.

I would like to utilize the existing gradual taper of the trees where possible; so the major trunk on the left can be shortened a small amount down to the left/right branches just below the existing apex.
The other trunk is more problematic and may need to be cut down harder; down to the very small branch just above the major right hand growing branch about 2/3rds up the trunk. We would have to regrow apical branches over the following year but that would be easy.

What do you think? You could tie a red ribbon around the cutting points I have suggested to confirm before you cut.

Grant
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Haydenmc »

More than happy to do a big cut on the right hand trunk and regrow stuff.
How does this look?
cut1.JPG
the fine branch exits the top of the trunk as it leans forward so could be a good new point to rebuild from
cut2.JPG
- in that case i would make a vertical cut offset to the right so the cut isnt in the face of the viewer, probably looking to carve it out in the future and make that a bit of a 'theme' to the whole tree - carving the heavy pruning scars into uro in the spots circled in blue - my initial thoughts anyway.

thanks

Hayden
Last edited by Haydenmc on July 6th, 2013, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

The areas you have highlighted in red are correct.

The Ash has a rough bark and heal very quickly so if you want a smooth look you can achieve it in a few years; if you want the look of age and holes etc then certainly create the Uros and keep them open until the tree matures and slows down in growth.

Grant
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Haydenmc »

upon further inspection in the daylight with a clear mind i was thinking perhaps this is a better cut line for the secondary trunk apex?
topcut.JPG
even though it will be pretty in your face for a while i think it makes better sense than cutting the opposite angle that i was originally thinking.

Ill make the cut and post a fresh pic as soon as its done so we can carry on.
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Haydenmc »

Cuts have been made as requested.
Starting to get a little bud movement also.
bits 013.jpg
bits 012.jpg
bits 014.jpg
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

OK,

Now time to prepare all the branches.(I think this particular tree will look best with pulled down branches, slightly more on the left and slightly less on the right.)
1. Start with the lowest branch on the left hand tree by trimming off old stubs(but not so close as to endanger exiting viable buds),
2. Where there are two branches coming off the main branch cut off one or more to leave only one( automatically cut off those pointing directly up or down after the main branch would be wired down into position)
3. Eliminate any buds where the secondary branches have been left,
4. Continue right out to the tip of the branch leaving Vs or 2 x 2. Do not leave 2 or more branches coming from the same spot.
5. Go up to the next branch and repeat. From the picture I can see 3 branches at the tip of that branch; cut out the middle one leaving a V.
As you go up the tree trunk there will major branches coming from the same level and you will have to make decisions of which to cut off; try and choose those to keep that will give a good radiating branch system around the tree. If you are not sure which to cut off; leave for now and we will decide later. Near the top of the taller tree there is a strong branch coming to the right from inside a sharp bend; cut it off and seal with the Kiyonal tube sealant if you have it.
On the second, smaller tree I would cut off the lowest branch at the front. This is too low and will give it time to heal over by the time the tree is ready for display.

This plan will give you a tall, elegant twin tree setting. If you want a much shorter setting then we can cut much lower on the first trunk.

Once you have prepared the branches do any carving necessary on the trunk before wiring. Once that is done we can start wiring.

I will now do a sketch of what is possible.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Twin trunk Ash haydenMC.jpeg
Ash trimming.jpeg
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Haydenmc »

Love the plan. Work will start on Sunday.
I am a fan of the pulled down look on ash, like you have posted previously on the forum.
Thanks For your time Grant.

Hayden
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Haydenmc wrote:Love the plan. Work will start on Sunday.
I am a fan of the pulled down look on ash, like you have posted previously on the forum.
Thanks For your time Grant.

Hayden
Note* This style is not a "Natural" deciduous style for this type of tree but it does suit it.

enjoy.

Grant
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Haydenmc »

Some work completed today, i have pointed out 2 larger branches i think should go - the upper one is too stiff to move and the other. although on the outside of a bend i think will conflict with the other tree.
cuty.JPG
cutl.JPG
DSCF2793.jpg
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

On my sketch I show the lower one taken out(inside of a curve) but not the higher one. Leave it for the moment as it will add complexity.

You can wire down the minor branches on the end of that branch and see how it looks. You could try them all down or put one up;Sort of like a minor apex almost at the top of the tree. This way you have plenty of branches towards the top of the tree that will diffuse the energy and you will end up with thinner and tapered branches. Some can be cut out later.

Grant
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Haydenmc »

Interesting idea about the mini apex.
I have left on quite a bit of vertical growth because i think with wiring ill be able to twist them into horizontal growth.
Anything else you think needs to come off at the moment or should i get the wire ready?

H

Return to “Ash eWorkshop”