Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

[Kerry 2] Ash eWorkshop

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant,
Glad that I was allowed to put this tree up for guidance as it is at an important stage in it's development.

This ash is approximately 7 years old and was field grown from seed.
The trunk was wired while in the ground and all effort put in to grow & develop a larger style trunk with shape & movement.

The tree is now about 650 mm in height from the base of the trunk and the trunk diameter is approx 85 mm.
All but one of the larger branches have been removed in readiness for development of a good branch structure.

It had root pruning at the time it was removed from the ground and placed in the current poly box where it has been for 2 years plus.
The soil is still 100% from the field and is fairly heavy and has poor drainage. I was going to wash off a lot of the soil & clay in the near future and transfer it to a better wooden grow box with good free draining Bonsai soil but I will hold off to see what Grant thinks is best.

I have continued with the same photographic method as used on Kerry 1 so I hope that system was OK. If you need any more detail just let me know and I will do it. Best Regards Kerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
けり
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Kerry 2] Ash eWorkshop

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant, now that we have bedded down the Kerry 1 tree I would like to ask for your advice with Kerry 2.

As we discussed on the first posting this tree had very heavy field soil so the thought was that it would be prudent to put it in a new grow container and remove some of the soil.
I did this a month or so ago and removed a large amount of soil (hopefully not to much) and planted it with good soil in a new box.
The tree is now sitting a little higher exposing more of the tree base but also an ugly root that has been cut during the removal from the field.

I think the tree has handled the large soil removal fairly well as there is some evidence of bud swell and even leaf movement.

Have attached a new set of photos and have the following questions and observations

Red view: A possible front, a problem is that the curve of the trunk into the vertical section hides part of the trunk

Red high view: The existing branching seems to be in keeping with this side being the front

Yellow view: Possible front, I think the better trunk view as all is visible however the branches are all coming forward in this view.

Yellow high view: The LH heavy branch probably needs to come off even though it is now a platform for other branches it is very heavy in comparison to all other branches. Perhaps a bit late this year to cut it off.

Root1 & 2: The pics give a better view of the problem surface root. Could you give me some guidance as to what methods could be followed to make this root either blend in or be removed.

Of course I could just raise the soil level again as it was partially covered before I transplanted it and not so jarring but this seems to be a defeatist way to go.
Hope you can give me your thoughts on the issues posed above.
Bst Rgds Kerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
けり
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant,
I am not sure if you missed this post or had decided to only concentrate on the first pick trees.

Either way I am OK with it but just wanted to know.

Rgds Kerry
けり
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi,

One of the reasons I chose this tree for some advice was that I did not like the cork screw effect of the trunk. It also is too thick for too long.

I would consider reducing the height of the tree to give it some taper and tilt it to the side slightly to ameliorate the cork screw effect.

The roots from this side seem the least worst of the two sides.

Was there anything down lower in the way of good roots?
3 Yellow m.jpg
Grant
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant,
Thanks for your comments they are most appreciated.
I agree that the tree is too thick for too long and needs taper sooner.
Have shown in the attached photo that the trunk between the black arrows is virtually the same thickness with no taper.
Above this section is the first attempt at apex taper but it is still a long way from happening and I think by the time the taper is OK the tree will be too high.
To make sure I am clear on where you are suggesting to cut back to I have marked the branch (new apex) with a yellow arrow and shown the trunk cut line in Red. Would appreciate if you could confirm this please.
I have cut off the thick branch on the LH side but have not taken a new photo yet to show this.
The roots are a different problem, I think that the roots on this side (yellow) are more prominent than the the other side (red). I have no idea how to make presentable the large surface root on this side that has been cut off and also there is a root curving around the trunk. You can see this clearly in the group of last photos posted (pic named “5surface root”). Have also marked the cut off root with a purple arrow on the new pic posted with this note.

When I repotted this tree I hosed off most of the old field soil so got a good look at the roots but apart from what we can see the rest of the roots are fairly fibrous and would not help us.
The larger roots all seemed to come from higher on the trunk and I considered cutting some of these off but left them for next repot.
I look forward to your further comments
Rgds Kerry
けり

Return to “Ash eWorkshop”