[Bougy Fan] Clero

A continuation of entries in the 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 competition. To take your existing shohin and refine them further over 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is only open to previous entries in the AusBonsai Shohin Progression Competitions from 2011-2012 and 2013-2014. You will not be able to post a new topic or enter unless you were in the last competition. Please use the CREATE category for new entries.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

[Bougy Fan] Clero

Post by Bougy Fan »

Species : Clerodendrum
Height : 700mm
Source : Cutting grown by me
Cost : Free
Clero 1st Update.jpg
Clero 1st Update 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Bougy Fan] Clero

Post by Bougy Fan »

This tree has amazed me - it really shows the benefit of a sacrifice branch and growing in a gravel tray. I love these cleros as the bark looks great on them in a fairly young tree. You can see the roots that have grown out the bottom of pot into the tray in about 2 months.
Clero 2nd Update 2.jpg
Clero 2nd Update 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Very pleased with this tree - I am discovering how well clero's grow and the way the bark develops on these trees. I have let the sacrifice branch grow and have had it in a gravel tray. Even better that it's a native :cool:
Celtis 3rd Update Sacrifice.jpg
Clero 3rd Update.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well the sacrifice branch has done it's job and I cut it off. Looking forward to this one growing on a bit and going into a bonsai pot
4th Update Clero.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This tree is going really well. I am really starting to love this species. Another sacrifice has grown and it is sitting on a large saucer of deco which has helped with it's growth. I am hoping to get it into a bonsai pot soon - hoping for a few more branches.
9th Update Clero 1.jpg
9th Update Clero 2.jpg
9th Update Clero 4.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well this continues to be my favourite entry. I recently put it into a bonsai pot and cut off the sacrifice branch. The branch has done it's job well and even thought he taper is lost towards the top of the tree I am very happy. I also love this pot - a Mudlark that I only really picked as it fitted the tree but I am really happy with. This will make a great tree in time once I grow the branches
10th update clero1 resize.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This is the final submission
Clero 11th update 1.jpg
Clero 11th update 2.jpg
Clero 11th update 3.jpg
I am really happy with the trees progress but it is not finished by a long shot. I don't think this species is suitable for a comp of this length unless it had all the branching in place and just needed styling. I am aiming for it to entered into my club show in the first half of next year - as long as the branches develop in time. The left hand side of the tree needs branching - that will come in time. Down the track the roots will develop even further and it will be a great tree. I have put a lot of these trees into pots that are rooting through into the ground and with sacrifice branches. A very under utilised tree in Australian bonsai.
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

So this one lives - but I nearly killed it being over zealous with chemical fert. I have just let it recover and have it's head. Current size is 600mm.
AB2016Clero1X.jpg
AB2016Clero2X.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

So this tree has sprung back - I have been feeding and watering it madly and it is getting a bit more sun. I have trimmed it about a week ago and I am very pleased with it's progress. May have to look at the positioning of the branches - will see how it goes.
AB2016 Clero3.jpg
Regards Tony

Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Hi Bougy , great job on the base . This tree is developing nicely .
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Here we are again - that time of the comp. This tree had been stripped bare by pests but has made a great recovery. Again apologies for the photo.
AB2016 Clero4.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well I think this is my best entry - it has been hit hard by the beetles that look like lady birds but aren't - it has been stripped several times.
AB2017 Clero.jpg
I really love the pot this in - thanks Penny :worship:
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This has been stripped by the beetles that look like lady birds. I can see I need to remove the second highest branch on the left - it is too tight in there. I also want to bring the higher branches up to a greater angle to the trunk.
AB2017 Clero May.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Very happy with this tree - it is finally talking to me or I have finally figured out how to listen :palm: Have been jumping on the bugs that seems to love this tree and keeping it a bit healthier.
DSC_3577.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

So it's that time of the year again . . . . .
DSC_5083.jpg
DSC_5086.jpg
I guess the biggest thing I have learnt is that shohin need more attention that larger trees. I have been really busy with having a couple of weeks away and then the resulting increase in workload. All of my comp trees are showing this whereas the larger trees can cope with just watering and the occasional fertilising. My future plans for this tree are to repot soon and concentrate on the branching. I am finally happy with the structure of the trunk and it's height. I need to put this tree in a prominent position and take better care of it. This is probably my favourite of the REFINE category trees and I really love the Penny Davis pot.
Regards Tony

Return to “Category 1. REFINE”