Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: [Watto] - Japanese Box

Post by Watto »

Its been in its new pot for a little while now and I like it. Some more development in a few areas and it might be OK for the March photo shoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Great thread watto.
Job well done here mate.
The pot is an absolute treat.
Good luck.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Watto . I really like the combination of tree and pot .
Cheers Craig
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Just a quick update. This bonsai is moving along OK and continues to grow and mature. The work on it is certainly not overwhelming but I am pleased with the tree/pot combination now it has settled in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Hi Watto,
That has come along nice and I love the new pot. Hope you don't mind but to me it appears to sit a bit high in the pot. I wonder if lowering it in the pot might look more stable. Something like this
Watto buxus.PNG
Watto buxus 1.jpg
I know the virt is shocking but hopefully you see what I mean. I do love the tree and pot though.

Josh
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Josh - always the plan was/is to have it a bit lower in the pot, perhaps not as low as you have suggested, but certainly potted lower. However when you consider how much root has been removed, it has come a long way in a short period of time. The next re-pot won't be for some time yet, not before the end of this comp anyway, but I will see how much more base root I can remove to help it sit better then. Thanks for your imput, always much appreciated.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Watto wrote:Josh - always the plan was/is to have it a bit lower in the pot, perhaps not as low as you have suggested, but certainly potted lower. However when you consider how much root has been removed, it has come a long way in a short period of time. The next re-pot won't be for some time yet, not before the end of this comp anyway, but I will see how much more base root I can remove to help it sit better then. Thanks for your imput, always much appreciated.
Yeah my virt wasn't the best as I said. I love where you taken this tree. I was amazed how much root I cut of my collected buxus without any issues. That pot is really nice.

Josh.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

Hi Watto, really love this tree. I was inspired by this tree and decided to give it a go myself. Picked up a Japonica today. Have been creating some virtual comparing against yours. What you reckon. Am i on the right track?

Actual stock

Bark

Virtual

Hope you don't mind.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Here is my June pic. I have let this grow a bit over the last few months, for its own health, and so it has plenty of reserve for the winter months which are just about to start. Come September I will remove the wire and refine.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Looking very healthy and looking good.

Josh.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Just wanted to show the bonsai in flower. Over the next couple of weeks the final refinement and photos will be done but it might not be in flower at the end of the comp.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Coming along very nicely indeed, Watto, and nice to see a tree with flowers in proportion.

Elegant simplicity in the choice of pot; the colour/implied texture compliment the pale textured bark of the tree.

Jan
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Hi Watto,
Mate just been following the thread. Amazed at the progression and transformation. The pot fits perfectly. You have done an awesome job. Be very proud of your work just inspiring. Well done. I'll be out checking my box hedges in my yard :clap: :hooray: ;)
Cheers Rod
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Post by wattynine »

Watto, gotta say, luv progression photos, so good job on the thread.
We'll done on the tree and the pot selection.
Nice when you get rewarded with flowers, just sort of tells you you're doing everything right doesn't it?
Watty
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Time for the last post. Over the two comps this has been a treat to work with and lots of fun seeing where it could go.
Over the coming time I would like to lower the tree in the pot a little bit and give some additional refinement to the first branch on the left as you look at it. The first branch on the right continues to dominate a little bit so some stronger trimming is required to keep it in check. Overall it is about the height that I originally envisaged so that is pleasing, and equally pleasing is that the bonsai goes through the seasonal changes just like one in the garden. I was especially impressed with the flowering this year. If you want to see it in the bark I intend to show it for the first time at the Goulburn exhibition on 4 & 5 October in a traditional seven point shohin display.

Return to “Category 1 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”