Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

[jezz_39] Ficus Microcarpa var. Green Island

Post by jezz_39 »

Species: Ficus Microcarpa var. Green Island
Height: 36cm
Source: Australian Bonsai Grower, Park Ridge QLD
Cost: $105

There are 2 branches that have had a small chop some time ago, but these will be completely removed once work can commence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [jezz_39] Ficus Microcarpa var. Green Island

Post by jezz_39 »

Not 100% certain with the rules so ive removed the offending branches before the comp starts, also did a repot so it can move its feet while recovering.
Apologise for the small photos, computer seems to have edited them for me :palm: Also the wires you can see are currently not doing anything, just sitting there waiting for tomorrow to be put into use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jezz_39 on March 31st, 2013, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Having already repotted and removed branches that would otherwise disqualify my only entry, figured I would do a bit of light work today. Just a bit of wiring and removal of unwanted shoots.
The framework is there for what I envisage as the final design, just have to lengthen some shoots and get to work on ramification and back-budding. For now I will let it run wild until mid-late spring, at which time I will repot into a suitable pot and dom some more detailed wiring. Not trying to win the comp (though it would be nice to get that beautiful Pat K pot), but just hoping to learn and refine my skills as so far, the vast majority of my stock is in the growing on stage. Hopefully I can get all my updates in on time as I work away in the drilling industry. Leaving friday for 1-3 months, never know how long i'll be away or if i'll have phone reception. Anywho, this is the design so far, wishing good luck to everyone else in the comp, there has been some cracking entries and at this stage its anyones game :tu:
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Not a lot to report here, has been slowly settling into the grow pot and pushing buds in some useful areas.
Come spring time I'll get it into an appropriate pot to kick the refinement stage into gear, perhaps it will then start to take shape :fc:
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Time for an update. Since the big chop and root prune at the start of the comp this tree has been sitting around doing nothing, its finally woken up over the last fortnight or so and pushing plenty of new growth. I decided to defoliate and get it into its final pot so it can settle in and continue to grow over the summer. A long way to go with ramification but we'll see what the next 12 months brings :fc:
Regards,
Jeremy
DustyRusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by DustyRusty »

:tu: love it. Can't wait to see it fill out a bit like you and I are hoping!
Aubs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Aubs »

Hi Jezz,
Nice tree has come a long way in a short time. Nice pot to. Loved the look of GI in the second pic of your first post on this thread
Cheers Aubrey
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Not long after the last update I lost the leader and the first upward pointing seconday on the cascade branch. Went away for the weekend and came back to find a fallen palm frond resting against this guy :palm:
Not to worry, Figs will be figs and didnt take long to get replacement shoots :tu:

Wire is starting to bite into the cascade branch so next week I will defoliate again and wire the secondaries.
Regards,
Jeremy
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

I like it alot, sorry to hear about the die back. Look forward to seeing its form underneath the leaves.
Shane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: BonsaiNorthwest, BSV, Vic Natives

Post by Shane »

Amazing how getting a tree into a nice pot can quickly change how good it looks. Keeping an eye in this entry now. Nice work.

bonsai was meant to keep me away from the computer
Bonsai was meant to keep me away from the computer.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Defoliated, trimmed unwanted growth, and wired.
Theres something that doesnt sit right at the moment, I think the cascade branch has to be pulled over to the right as it seems to come at the viewer and in leaf will most likely hide the trunk. Or maybe its the fact that Ive still got to build an apex :lost:

Will let it grow out again and make necessary changes once I see it in leaf, happy with the ramification so far though. And the back branches now wired down should add a lot more depth :fc:
Regards,
Jeremy
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Jeremy, I love it.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Last update before final entries :clap:

This had seemingly stopped growing a few weeks ago with the 'cold' weather, but I found a more sunny position on the back of the bench and its putting out growth all over. I'm happy with how far this tree has come but my biggest battle by the time the competition draws to a close is to build a believable apex. Ive wired down a shoot to try fill the gap on the right side... Time will tell :fc:
Regards,
Jeremy
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Looking good and lots of potential...
I shall update mine today...Mine has had lots of set backs. Someone cut the roots on top, just above the rock...I suspect my gardener stepped on it. So I have had not much growth...when I noticed it was too late.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

This being my first competition has been a real learning experience, trying to make something out of nothing within a short timeframe.
I am pleased with the progress I have made, but another 12 months should see a big improvement. For the future I need to thicken the apex and build a rounded canopy. The cascade branch needs more growing and rewiring to bring a clear definition in the pads. I also think in the back of my mind the back would make a more dynamic front ... but for now, the tree can rest and guide me for a little while.

Good luck to ALL entries :tu: :hooray:
Regards,
Jeremy

Return to “Category 1 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”