[Ryceman3] Leptospermum Laevigatum

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is for new entries. Enter as many times as you like.

Please ensure you read all the rules prior to entering.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: [Ryceman3] Leptospermum Laevigatum

Post by Ryceman3 »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: November 24th, 2021, 4:21 pm I like the tree R3 - but a smidge deeper? (too much root?)
Possibly KC&R… It’s pretty squeezed in, maybe next time I could drop it a bit more, but I actually like the way the surface root meanders out from the soil and slowly twists up the trunk kind of like a live vein on a juniper. I think it helps to amplify the “ropey” habit these trees develop over time.

Or maybe I’m just talking shari… who knows! :P
Thanks for your input.
:beer:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Ryceman3 wrote: November 24th, 2021, 6:13 pm Or maybe I’m just talking shari… who knows! :P
Thanks for your input.
Nah..you haven't even mentioned the tree's "subtle nuances" or it's numerous "iterations" yet, so I think you're still good :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Just an update post-repot on this tree.
It has been sitting in a water tray since the work was done, and all in all I think it looks reasonably healthy.
I have noticed that the older leaves are yellowing and dying off, which I'm guessing is related to the "stress" of the root reduction in an effort to get it into the smaller vessel. I'm not particularly worried because the younger, smaller shoots appear to be developing/elongating which says to me the tree is rationalising it's resources and favouring younger foliage over old leaves.
I really only bring this up because I refrained from significant cutting back of the foliage at repot (which I think I mentioned at the time). I'm glad I did, because I would have been cutting off the younger growth. If I got the same response that I'm seeing now it would mean the foliage I left after a cut back would be yellowing and dropping ... and that would elevate my concern levels quite a bit! It's only one tree, so hardly a scientific conclusion ... more just something I'll keep in mind in the future.
LL-Repot 1221_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

+1

I've lost a few interesting natives when cutting them into a bonsai pot when I've taken too much off the top at the same time. No problem with hard pruning top and bottom in an 8" pot, in development, but when the root ball size gets small, it seems you need to leave fair amount of foliage on the top to keep everything healthy.

I'm glad yours looks well, it's a graceful tree.

Gavin
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Might've put the mozz on this little tree ... I'm re-evaluating my stance on how healthy it is looking.
It has been in a water tray (like a majority of my natives) since the repot, but things never really took off ... in fact (as is evident in the photo) they went in the other direction. I'll leave it in the water tray and in a position where it gets an hour or so of very early morning sun, followed by mostly shade throughout the day and we'll see if it can rise from the ashes. It will need a small miracle I think.
On the up side ... I might have a nice pot available soon for another tree ... :roll:
LL-01 0222.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

bugger
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Bugger alright. It was looking nice.

Hope it pulls through, though I wouldn't hold your breath. I haven't been able to keep any alive for long. A couple after a repot and some after drying out. All looked like yours and never returned. I do have 2 new seedlings so here's hoping :fc:
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

melbrackstone wrote: February 16th, 2022, 9:50 ambugger
dansai wrote: February 16th, 2022, 12:16 pm Bugger alright. It was looking nice.

Hope it pulls through, though I wouldn't hold your breath. I haven't been able to keep any alive for long. A couple after a repot and some after drying out. All looked like yours and never returned. I do have 2 new seedlings so here's hoping :fc:
Yeah ... bugger is about right...
I did have a quick look back at my initial post in this thread regarding repotting this tree the first time. I recalled it struggled a fair bit with recovery, and the post confirms this! It pays to revisit past experiences sometimes, probably should have taken that into account. I don't have enough other L. Laevigatum to say whether this is species specific, or just a "characteristic" of this particular tree. In any case ... it's a wait and see proposition right now.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:( oh no... well ...lovely moss!
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Don’t be too concerned just yet.
When I started with 4 of these and about your trunk thickness too, 3 of them dropped all their leaves soon after a heavy root removal. But they eventually all recovered, some taking up to 8 weeks to shoot.

Leave it for a long time, but I personally don’t like having moss on the surface. Too hard to see what the mix is doing and harder for the tree to regulate itself.

But looking at the prior pot size and the new pot size, that was a lot of root reduction I presume?
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Bad luck but as Rory has mentioned they can come back eventually. This has happened a few times to me as well. I still keep on water tray but keep the tray just wet not to much water in it . Enough to just keep the soil damp and even alloying the pot to get a little dry occasionally . Hope it comes back ,nice tree. Cheers John.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Rory wrote: February 16th, 2022, 7:15 pm Don’t be too concerned just yet.
When I started with 4 of these and about your trunk thickness too, 3 of them dropped all their leaves soon after a heavy root removal. But they eventually all recovered, some taking up to 8 weeks to shoot.

Leave it for a long time...
boom64 wrote: February 16th, 2022, 8:14 pm Bad luck but as Rory has mentioned they can come back eventually...
Thanks Rory and John ... leaving it is pretty much my plan of attack. I note that looking back through this thread it took until April to throw any signs of new growth (it was repotted in December) last time, so there's a few months to go!
In relation to the moss, I'm not too fussed by it. I find that trees I have with a moss cover generally have fine roots (from the trees) closer to the soil surface. I think the moss creates an environment that allows this as the top surface doesn't dry out/heat up quite as much. It can overgrow and create issues though so maybe like everything - it's best in moderation.
As KC&R says ... at least it's something green in the meantime!

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”