[Bougy Fan] Tiger Bark Fig

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is for new entries. Enter as many times as you like.

Please ensure you read all the rules prior to entering.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

[Bougy Fan] Tiger Bark Fig

Post by Bougy Fan »

The current height is 1100mm - needs to come down a little. I was given this by a mate who moved about 3 years ago and have done nothing with it so the comp is a good excuse. Cost is $0.
AB2016NewFig1.jpg
AB2016NewFig2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Bougy Fan] Tiger Bark Fig

Post by Bougy Fan »

OK so I cut this back and wired the trunk for some movement. Have heaped DL over the top of the mix and will give it lots of water and sun. Being a fig this one should show the most promise :fc:
AB2016 Tigerbark3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

I am happy with the development so far of this tree - needs some more chook poo, sunshine and water. Apologies for not re shooting the photo.
AB2016 Tigerbark4.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This continues to power on and holds the most promise I think. I am glad the comp spurred me on the do something with this tree.
AB2017 Tigerbark.jpg
I have been giving this lots of chook poo to try and get the base developed to where I want it.
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

So life and work have gotten in the way of bonsai lately. Just been fertilising and watering. Looking at the photos I need to cut back the branches at the base and think about the top.
AB2017 Tigerbark May.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

This has made some good progress - not ready for bonsai pot yet but making good progress.
DSC_3585.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

I am happy with the trunk on this tree now
DSC_5096.jpg
DSC_5098.jpg
I believe this tree has a lot of potential. It has fattened up to a size that I am happy with. Being a fig it can go into a bonsai pot to continue it's branch development without slowing down too much. This would have to be the most successful tree for me in the comp - partly I believe because it is still in a large nursery pot. Shohin trees seem to be so much more needy and not necessarily easy to look after because they are smaller. I look forward to continuing the development of this tree.
Regards Tony

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”