[Bougy Fan] Smarty Pants Bougy

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is for new entries. Enter as many times as you like.

Please ensure you read all the rules prior to entering.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

[Bougy Fan] Smarty Pants Bougy

Post by Bougy Fan »

A cutting I collected from a development site. Cost was $0. Current height is 300mm.
AB2016NewBougy1X.jpg
AB2016NewBougy2X.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Bougy Fan] Smarty Pants Bougy

Post by Bougy Fan »

OMG I can't believe it is 3 months :o Not much happening - had a overdose of chemical fert and it shed all of it's leaves. Have heaped DL on it and moved it into more sun.
AB2016 NewBougy 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Another reverse progression and a crap photo. This has not rooted well into the pot and has been very slow to develop.
AB2016 NewBougy 4.jpg
Regards Tony

hawkeyes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by hawkeyes »

I'm following, :crikey: Hope it comes through
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Still very slow growth on this one - it hasn't even firmed up in the pot yet. I have it growing in deco but I don't think it's an issue.
AB2017 NewBougy.jpg
Will fertilise a bit more and see how it goes.
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Very slow progress with this one - think it needs some more water, sun and chook poo. Anyway at least it is still alive.
AB2017 NewBougy May.jpg
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Even though it has been a mild winter here the bougy's have been affected. Well potted ones - the ones I have in the ground are powering away. I will soldier on and keep going with it.
DSC_3581.jpg
Regards Tony

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Tony, It could be that you're killing it with kindness and too much fertilizer??
Last december I dug an old bougy out of my garden. It was put there as a last resort after taking it out of a pot, and then totally neglected :palm: . When I took up an interest in Bonsai I dug it out and put it in a pot with ordinary Bunnings cheapest potting mix and a light sprinkling of Osmocote slow release pellets. It quickly recovered and I repotted it and started training it as a cascade. Haven't done anything to the roots yet as I wanted to let it get into really good condition first. For the last few months I've regularly given it quite dilute liquid fertilizer every 3-4 weeks. Now it's starting to get quite a few flowers and is looking really healthy. The flowers are a rusty reddish brown. Sorry I haven't got a recent photo, I'll have to go out tomorrow and take a couple.
Persevere with yours, as you most likely know, they are a very tough plant and as long as it has enough water it should recover.
Cheers, Frank.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

It is not often I am accused of loving my trees and plants too much :lol: :lol: :lol: This is growing in 100 % deco so I believe it does need extra fert - but I only use chook poo on my bougies as too much of either nitrogen or potassium in the compounded chemical fert I use makes them drop all their leaves and in fact slows down growth.
Regards Tony

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

So I am very disappointed with this tree . . . .
DSC_5094.jpg
DSC_5095.jpg
Just like all of my comp trees it has suffered from neglect. This will need a repot into a different medium as the deco experiment has not worked out. It needs plenty of sun and water and chook poo and time. I had to trim quite a bit off the top and I noticed some of it has rotted so I will need to carve out and seal it. I love this species and it will be a great tree in time.
Regards Tony

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”