Sammy (Juniper prostrata)

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is for new entries. Enter as many times as you like.

Please ensure you read all the rules prior to entering.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: Sammy (Juniper prostrata)

Post by Sammy D »

Did a little bit more shari work today. It has new buds all over so clearly a happy plant. Will need to put on a lot more growth and good wood in the next year to be any good in the final photo. Much development to go :-). Great fun. Great comp.
20160809_205316-2200x1650.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
ben17487
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ben17487 »

Looking good Sammy! Can't wait to see this at the end of the comp :D
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Nice work Ben, has a good shape and look all ready. Keep up the good work. Cheers John.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Ok long story short got carried away and ruined it. The roots on the right hand side of the old front were non existant so i switched the front. A bit stupid i know. Looks a lot less developed now and not sure if i can get foliage to mature enough before end of comp. Probably, no make that definately this was the wrong think to do. Lets hope 1 it survives and two i can do something. Also the straight trunk on yhe top section needs a lot of attention. No No No what have i done :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :reading: :reading: :cry: :lol: :lol: :fc: :fc:. Live and learn hey :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll:
20161025_210222-2000x1500.jpg
maybe in years to come this may be an ok decision but for now plain stupid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Breathe Sammy, BREATHE!

Don't beat yourself up too badly or people will be asking questions of you at work tomorrow, remember there's only so many time you can tell your colleagues you walked into a door.

Before you go sending this one to big green bin upstairs, I actually prefer the flow of the new trunk line. As well as that I also prefer the jins and Shari from this angle as well. Don't go forgetting the old front had no roots!

Once it fills out and it grows that apex I think you'll be glad you made the decision to change it. Give it time to put on some growth and then make a decision or you'll end up hastily cutting something off.

Yes before it was more of an instant Bonsai but I think this will make it a better tree in the long run, wheather it does it within the comps deadline not.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on October 25th, 2016, 10:56 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Pearcy you are too kind. No black eyes to report just a bruised ego :cool:
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Looking good mate!

Don't forget, you still have 1 year, 1 month and about 4 days until the end of the comp. Plenty of time to develop your tree.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Still alive. Bit of a miracle after all the abuse it has had of late :palm:
20170119_164951-1600x1200.jpg
20170119_165022(1)-1600x1200.jpg
Will let it grow for a bit before the next hack.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

This juniper has been almost indestructible. After all the work done on it it need another trim. I changed a few things on the styling but nothing too major. This late in the game i don't think it would be wise to change things too much.
20170306_165740-1600x1200.jpg
My plans for the future now is to try to get the pads to fill in and hopefully mature a bit. Also whiten the dead wood work. I will leave it in this container until the last minute as to get as much growth between now and the finish line as possible. Ill repot it into a bonsai pot just before the final photos. Until then i wait and trim. Patience patience grass hopper ;)

On a side note i would like to thank the organises of this comp. It has been a great deal of fun for me and im sure also everyone else that has entered.
It has made me push myself and the plant more than normal and has been and will continue to be a great learning experience.

Hats off to the organises and good luck to all that have entered. May the force be with you on your adventures :fc:
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

[attachment=0]20170526_173008-2016x1512.jpg[/attachment
Still alive]
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

20170820_164840-2903x2177.jpg
Update. No change
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Well the time has come.

End of a fun comp. 1 and a half years sounds like a long time until you have to make a bonsai in that time.

Well I tried my hardest and did as much as I could do without killing it so overall I am happy.

Today I put it in its final pot for the comp. Didn't have to cut off too many roots which is good.

Future plans are to keep developing the pads and fill in a few ugly spots with foliage. Seems like a different tree when I take a photo. Looks good in person. Take the photo and bam. She looks not quite so good. Oh well all is fun. Here is some pics of the little fella :D
20171126_211017-1512x2016.jpg
20171126_205915-1512x2016.jpg
20171126_211406-2016x1512.jpg
20171126_210312-1512x2016.jpg
20171126_211520-2016x1512.jpg
20171126_211748-2016x1512.jpg
Overall I am so happy with this little plant. It has been through so much but just keeps on giving. Much respect for nature :worship:

Also a big thanks to the wife for the photos as I am hopeless :lol:

Good luck to all others who entered i have seen some Awesome trees and also a massive thanks to all that organised. Much appreciated. Cheers and most of all have fun. :tu:
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

you gotta be happy with that...
still a few final submissions to go but at this point i think you have my vote :tu:
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

GREAT JOB! :tu:

Lisa
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Mbunro wrote:you gotta be happy with that...
still a few final submissions to go but at this point i think you have my vote :tu:
I keep seeing new posts with final shots for entries and I keep thinking ...
"Yeah, that's real nice, I'll probably vote for that... :yes: "

Then I think...
"How many votes do I get again???"
:? :?: :lol:

Nice job Sammy, just another tree to add to my conundrum!
Last edited by Ryceman3 on November 28th, 2017, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”