Height: 400mm

Source: Bonsai south

Cost $39

Photos
IMG_4460 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_4461 (1024x683).jpg
Cheers,

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: [Kez] Mugo pine

Post by kcpoole »

Impressive mugo Pine for only $39!!
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

kcpoole wrote:Impressive mugo Pine for only $39!!
I'll agree with that! Over here in WA, with only a couple of dedicated Bonsai nurseries, you could expect to pay over $150 for that exact same piece of stock. If I had access to that type of stock, at those prices, my collection would be a whole lot bigger than it is today. Nice score!
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

Thanks guys,

Will need a bit of bending to get the foliage in close to that nice little trunk but we'll see how it goes,

Very excited about getting some trees into the comp thats for sure
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Gee Kerrin, you have set the bar quite high. Good looking stock, will be interesting to see its progression over the life of the comp.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

Well I certainly won't be winning hahahahaha. Great stock make I look forward to seeing what you do with it :yes:

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Hey guys,

I really hope nobody gets discouraged due to stock like this, the best part about this comp is the different entries from everybody and the participation, its about throwing your hat into the ring,

I thought I would make a couple of points that stick out to me with this tree in the hopes that it will give people a bit more to think about

. This tree was found during a half hour visit to a bonsai nursery (i know some of us don't have that luxury), there is certainly lots out there for people to find

. At the moment this is a bush, with a lot of growth a long way away from the trunk

. There are maybe 3 clear directions, that once 1 of the 3 are chosen, can not be reversed, and they each have pros and cons

. While there is certainly potential for a great tree here, I may completely hash it up

. This is certainly not the best pine species to work with, and that's already taking into consideration comments made during the last round of create about it being brave to attempt a pine in such a short time. Don't forget this is a single flush species, so I only get 1 lot of growth to work with as apposed to figs and elms etc, and also not the happiest pine in my climate, so I am up against it

. It's also not going to want to go into a pot that would be most suitable for final presentation in the first potting

I want as many people to enter this comp as possible, I have been hanging to get involved ever since the first round of updates from the last one. I joined just after the first create so I missed out and I am soo excited to be able to get involved in this one, and I want others to be excited as well.

Get stuck in guys, the only way that this tree is a sure fire winner is if it's the only one in the comp!

Kerrin

(mods if this is outside of the kind of content you want in this thread please feel free to remove or more somewhere more suitable)
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

kez wrote:I really hope nobody gets discouraged due to stock like this, the best part about this comp is the different entries from everybody and the participation, its about throwing your hat into the ring
Dont think for a second my post meant I'm discouraged Kez, I'm all for having a go mate. Maybe I worded it poorly, merely stating how nice that stock is for that price. I wouldn't have thought people were entering pure for the fact that they wanted to win anyway? It's all about the fun!
kez wrote:mods if this is outside of the kind of content you want in this thread please feel free to remove or more somewhere more suitable
I don't see any reason why the mods would pull this down! If anything I'd be turned off the whole thing if they did. You certainly shouldn't feel that way about your entry Kez, so if it is partly due to my post then I sincerely apologise. I was merely having a laugh about one of the trees I plan to enter (As I haven't posted anything YET no one but myself would understand haha woops). But like I said I don't hesitate for a second to enter it and neither should anyone else.

Good luck with the tree Kez, I look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on May 14th, 2016, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Kerrin well said. Even with a good initial styling there will be a way to go with this species of tree due to its growth habits.
I'm going to enter not with the intention of winning a prize but to have some fun, and develop some raw material.... Oh and it's a good excuse for more plants!! Can just see my better half groaning with disapproval!!!!
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

All good pearcy,

I just didnt want people to be put off, and was worried maybe at face value people might have been

If ever there was a time for people to make something out of nothing now is it, better to get something out of nothing than nothing out of something :tu:
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Craigg »

Hi Kez. I must admit to being envious of your choices of material, but in no way am I put off from taking part. I have been in awe of some of the progressions you have shared and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Craigg wrote:Hi Kez. I must admit to being envious of your choices of material, but in no way am I put off from taking part. I have been in awe of some of the progressions you have shared and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Absolutely totally agree with this and Kez's summation of the challenges he will be faced.
I am expecting a very good outcome for this tree in the next 18 months, but the real opprtunity will be for the Refine comp after this one! :shock: Beware the contestant int he 2020 Refine comp. The bar just set very high indeed :lol: :lol:

As a competitor, I am more concerned about the other tree Kez has entered. That on is a very good example of stock to get a headstart in a Shohin comp :yes: adn shod within 18 months make a very nice tree!

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I want as many people to enter this comp as possible, I have been hanging to get involved ever since the first round of updates from the last one. I joined just after the first create so I missed out and I am soo excited to be able to get involved in this one, and I want others to be excited as well.

Get stuck in guys, the only way that this tree is a sure fire winner is if it's the only one in the comp!

Kerrin
Thanks for this Kerrin, cheers!

I'm excited to have a go too.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

I've been hanging out to get stuck into the trees for the comp and counting down the days until today

First bit of styling work done
IMG_4603 (1024x683) (2).jpg
And a shot with the sheers for scale
IMG_4604 (1024x683).jpg
At the moment it is around 10cm from the base of the trunk to the top of the apex,

I have removed a significant amount of foliage and done a fair bit of bending so fingers crossed it pulls through. I have left the top branch to hopefully keep the tree strong and down the track may use it as jin and work some shari into the trunk or just remove it completely

Looking forward to seeing everyones first efforts over the coming days

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

double wow!

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”