[Craigg] Swamp Cypress

Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

[Craigg] Swamp Cypress

Post by Craigg »

I purchased this tree about 2 years ago in a 140mm pot for either $5.00 or $7.50 (not sure what it was now), along with about 25 others. This one was planted into a 300mm pot and left pretty much untouched. It is currently just over a metre tall so will require some substantial cutting back
Origin If memory serves me correctly it was purchased at the markets in Toowoomba

Original Swamp Cypress.jpg
However there is a good shoot about 10cm above the roots that I am planning to make the new apex.
Swamp Cypress showing the branch that is likely to become the new trunk line.jpg
The branch that is likely to become the new trunk line from the other side.jpg

The current trunk will be cut back and possibly carved try and bring some context into why there is a sudden change in trunk size. I am thinking of trying to portray a tree that is recovering (and hopefully thriving) after some major damage.

The challenges I see are with the roots, ensuring that they are right around the trunk (rather than from just one or two places), and ensuring that they fit into an appropriately sized pot for the trees height. Carving of the old trunk will also present a challenge for me since I have done very little of this, but it is a great opportunity to force myself to learn. The biggest challenge will be maintaining the height of the tree to below the 250mm limit.

No doubt I will make lots of mistakes, but this should be a bit of fun and a great motivator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on May 23rd, 2016, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added origin
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: [Craigg] Swamp Cypress

Post by kcpoole »

what in interesting choice of material for a shohin comp.
It is going to the interestin to see how this pans out.

Good luck

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

I like challenges Ken. I also enjoy challenging the norm. I have quite a few of these growing on to large sizes, but like the idea of something smaller. I may fail in my attempt, but such is life.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

AGree with Ken, as much as I love a challenge, I left my three baby swampies to continue to grow tall. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

I find it interesting that we all (myself included) seem to have preconceived ideas about how particular trees should be trained in terms of sizing. This isn't a criticism, of comments that have been made by those more learned than I, but rather an observation. I think that challenging ideas can sometimes result in surprises.

I have many other swamp cypress growing on that I am hoping become large trees in the future. This is probably the expectation that all or most of us have for this type of tree, and I am no different.

The way I look at it, this is an experiment in training a tree rather than a competition entry. The competition will just help me to keep focussed as well as making me keep a record of progress. It may not work for a multitude of reasons, but I saw a pathway with this tree that I want to try and follow that results in a tree of approximately 20-25cm in height. I may fail badly, but no matter what, I will definitely learn from it. And at a cost of between $5 and $7.50 and some time I have nothing to lose.

At the end of the day this is about having some fun, and I am sure the process will be fun.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I think it's great you're using a swampy! Looking forward to the end result.

I personally prefer smaller to mid sized trees (mainly because I don't have the room at the moment haha).

If for nothing else you may inspire people such as myself, to try a species normally left for larger trees.

Will follow this one closely and good luck with it.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

But with such small compound leaves, they would be perfect for Shohin. All the best mate! :tu:
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea to stretch yourself and your knowledge. That's why I'm keen to see how you go!

With a google check there seems to be a good response to shohin swamp cypress, but when you actually look at the photos very few of them fit the bill.

It's a great challenge!
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

It seems that I missed the source of this tree. If memory serves me correctly it was purchased at the markets in Toowoomba
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Craigg ,Good choice. Great to see people pushing the boundaries. They grow like weeds and in your area who knows what will emerge.. Good Luck, Cheers John .
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

My first step with this tree was to cut the trunk line down to about 25cm above the current root system so that I could get a greater understanding of what needed to be done in order to keep within the height restrictions.
image 1.jpg
image 3.jpg
This highlighted how much of the new trunk would need to be reduced, and then I cut back to a point just below this height and removed some of the growth that was unlikely to be used. This left me with the main trunk line and three potential branches below where the new trunk divides from the old. The old trunk line was then shortened and I have commenced outlining where I am hoping to create deadwood in the future.
image 4.jpg
image 5.jpg
My next steps are to wire the couple of branches that are there, and to have a look at the root system and see what I need to do in order to improve it. I will be feeding as much as possible, and pinching the tree back to encourage a little more development of the branches. Depending on what I find with the root system, I will reduce it as much as possible, with the aim of reducing the root system over two repots, the second happening in spring next year.

My long term view for this tree is something similar to this drawing (I am not an artist but you will get the idea)
image 6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Post by kez »

nice mate,

I like where you are heading with this one
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

This tree continues to be an interesting learning experience for me.

I decided to have a look at the roots of the tree in my impatience and chose to do it at a time when we had some fairly hard frosts, and this tree suffered frost burn and frozen roots and has been through a stage of looking like firewood. But in the last few weeks the buds have started shooting.

The challenges that I have now relate to the roots. As you can see in the first photo, the roots are very imbalanced and when planted at the angle I initially wanted, this imbalance was obvious.
Taxodium update August 2016 - 1.jpg
I have slightly adjusted the angle in the next photo and will look at planting at this angle, and slightly deeper, to make the problem less obvious. In the long term I will probably layer it off the current base, but not something I want to do just yet.
Taxodium update August 2016.jpg
I have not wired any of the branches on the right at the moment, but will once the buds open up and I have selected which branches I want to keep. I have also reduced the old trunk and lightly carved it. I will work more on this over time as my skills are developed, but I am happy with it at the moment. The buds on the new trunk will be allowed to grow a little more before I select the ones I want to keep, so at the moment it is just fertilising and letting it grow for a few weeks, then branch selection etc. The height is now approximately 22cm from its current soil level, so there has been a slight reduction in height.

Overall I am happy that it is still alive and I can see it fitting the vision I had for it in the drawing above.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Good improvement and I also like the way you are heading.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Jake fowler »

Hey mate is there an update on this tree?
Jake

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”