[Craigg] Juniperus pingii prostrata

Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

[Craigg] Juniperus pingii prostrata

Post by Craigg »

This is the second tree that I will be entering into the competition. It was purchased from masters for the grand sum of $9.98 earlier this year with 4 others. MY intention with all of these trees was to play around along the lines of the really Shimpaku many have been involved with over the last 6 or more months. I bought these as I had not been able to locate Shimpaku at that point (but have found some locally now), and the three of these I have done so far I have been happy with.

Firstly the tree.
Juniper 1.jpg
It currently stands at about 10cm in height and the longest line on it is about 20-25cm in length
Juniper 3.jpg
The base is not that large, but the branches coming from this point are all incredibly flexible at the moment.
Juniper 2.jpg
The plan at this stage is to wire and bend the trunk as radically as possible while maintaining some of the foliage for future development. Any branches that are not used may become deadwood but that is yet to be determined.

The challenges as I see them are to make the twists and turns believable, and to optimise the location of the foliage for future branching. I am pretty sure that the root system is great to support the tree, but is probably not good from a nebari perspective so there may be work needed there. Hopefully I can learn from the other trees from the same batch that are already wired and twisted, but that remains to be seen.

Another challenge will be the size of the tree. At the moment the height of approx 10cm is what I am aiming for as a completed height, so trying to make this interesting in such a small size may be somewhat of a challenge, but a great learning opportunity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Craigg] Juniperus pingii prostrata

Post by Craigg »

While the intention with this was to twist and bend it and see what happens, I ended up just styling like an informal upright.
IMG_1201.JPG
The height is just approximately 10cm which was what I was aiming for. The bends are pretty much what was there.

The aim now is just to develop the branches a little more and see what happens.
IMG_1208.JPG
The low branch on the right will probably go, but I intend to leave it for a while to see if I can use it for some deadwood somewhere along the line. Some of the foliage on the branches are still to be thinned and shaped a little. But at the moment it is just maintaining water and feeding and will see how it goes as it starts to get warmer again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

There has been absolutely no change to this at all so far. Just letting it grow until I get some inspiration. The foliage is thickening up so it will be time for a wire and thin out soon. Hopefully there will be some work done in the next few weeks.
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

well it seems that all i needed to do was to have another look at it.

I have changed it completely and I am very happy with the result. It now measures about 8cm in height and about 10cm in width. Making it more into a literati style seems to fit it, particularly with the lack of taper in the trunk. The foliage pad will be thinned and shaped a little more, and the deadwood will be reviewed and trimmed in the future. But I am happy I finally saw something there.
pingii August 2016.jpg
ben17487
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ben17487 »

I like it! Going to be an awesome tree :D

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”