[craigg] Shimpaku

Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

[craigg] Shimpaku

Post by Craigg »

This is the third tree I am going to work on. Purchased earlier this year for $26.95 at Springs Garden Centre in Toowoomba.

I am not 100% sure how I will progress with this one as yet, although there is one trunk with a significant curve that I am thinking of utlilising in the final design. The multiple trunks will present a few opportunities, but also potentially some problems.
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: [craigg] Shimpaku

Post by Daluke »

I reckon you might be able to split the trunk so you have two trees
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

There are two options that I considered for this tree. The first is relatively safe, and the second a little more challenging.
The first option is to make a simple twin trunk tree within the height guidelines. This would be reasonably safe, would not present many challenges, and would be relatively easy to have something that looks reasonable in a relatively short time frame. The second option is to use the curve that already exists on the largest trunk, and to make something that is much more challenging in terms of the shaping, branch placement and development, but would probably make a better tree in the long term. It may be very much still in development and a poor tree at 18 months from a competition perspective, but for me this is about learning and progressing not competing. I think the long term benefits of the second option far outweigh those of option 1.

This is an image I have seen on line that has given me a bit of inspiration for my tree.
shimpaku.jpg
The large curve and main trunk line will follow in a similar way to this image, with the second trunk line being kept initially as a backup in case of some sort of disaster while bending.

My first steps have been to remove one of the three trunks and to remove some of the lower foliage from the main trunk. I then wrapped the branch in raffia and then wire and bend into shape.
IMG_1212.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
This is the first time that I have used raffia or bent anything as extreme as this, but the process was easier than I thought. Some of the bends will need to be tightened but I am happy with how they are at the moment. I will gradually tighten them over the coming weeks.
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG
At this stage I have not been overly concerned about the curve of the trunk coming into contact with the soil, but I plan to change the planting angle to reflect the pictures above when I repot it so that I can try and encourage some extra roots from that point. The large branch/trunk at the base is there purely as an insurance policy in case I have managed to break the main trunk line, hopefully it will be removed or used as part of the final design, but at the moment I will leave it where it is. I also have not selected any of the branches or bent the top as I want to give the tree a break first. I am hoping to do this in early spring. At this stage I havent chosen a front, I need to give that some more thought, but will probably make the decision in the next couple of days.

I am not sure how this will turn out, but I have learnt a lot today. I am happy with how it is going thus far, and am looking forward to the next steps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Craigg Fantastic decision ,always enjoy seeing someone attempting a challenging design. Best of luck.......John.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

interesting design to say the least.
It is good fun to play with our trees like this and learn. :yes:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Craigg »

A couple of things have happened in the last week or two.

I have removed a branch, wired the top of the tree (I am in contention for the worst wiring award for the year) and removed a fair amount of growth from it. I can actually see where it is heading a little bit more now. While it is not the same as the drawing above, I am extremely happy with the shape of it now. It will be a matter now of fertilising and growing for a while and working on the foliage pads, then refining the branch positioning. The apex also needs some work, but I will let it rest before deciding what course to take there. I havent decided yet on the deadwood at the base, but it can stay for the moment.
The height of the tree at the moment is approximately 18cm
Shimpaku August update 2016.jpg

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”