dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

[dansai] Sannanth virgata

Post by dansai »

Species: Sannantha virgata (Synonym: Baeckea virgata)
Height: 700 mm
Source: Big Flower Central Coast
Cost: $9
Sannantha virgata Shohin Comp 16-17 - 1.jpg
Sannantha virgata Shohin Comp 16-17 - 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [dansai] Sannanth virgata

Post by dansai »

As is often the case with mass produced nursery plants, roots systems are rarely favourable for bonsai purposes without years of correction, so I often start with stock like this by reducing the top down to a basic structure and really try to sort the roots out. Unfortunately the roots are so crap that what you are left with is not enough to sustain the plant. This one had quite good root flair and few problem roots, but I still removed a large amount but I'm confident it will survive and will be well on its way to good roots.
Root reduction.jpg
No set plan or style yet. Removed lots of straight bits down as far as I could while keeping enough green. The final image will incorporate the left to right movement and probably be no taller than where the main trunk has been chopped.
First repot.jpg
Close up of base.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Thymetraveller »

Bold cuts - nice stock!
Good luck!
Looking forward to updates on this one! :cool:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

You can wire the straight bits, but they a bit "snappy". At this time of year where I am that amount of work would be fatal without a glasshouse so I will be looking forward to the updates.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

It had good fibrous roots and has shown no signs of stress yet nearly a week after. The straigIt bits were long and taperless. I didn't try to wire as once I get shoots lower down I'll train them.

We have only had a handful of nights below 10, and a couple of days that didnt hit 20. Some of my maples are still pushing buds and candles are still developing on some pines. A lot of my natives have a fresh flush of growth and I don't expect growth will stop.

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”