Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

[Bonsaiforest] Trident Maple

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Height - 142cm
Supplier - Bonsai South (raw stock)
Cost - Approximately $20.00

Have had this tree since 2004. Back then I was considered a "Super Novice" and had only recently been introduced to the Art of Bonsai. Had a lot of die back last year, so the chop was inevitable. Chopped on the 18th July 2015 & left to it's own devices & has grown out to 1.4 metres. No styling/wire has been applied since the chop last year. Really not sure if it will be competition ready within the 18 month deadline, but will definitely give it my best shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Bonsaiforest] Trident Maple

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Leaves have only just started to fall on my trident. Couldn't wait to have a scratch around & see what was under the soil and check out the nebari removing top soil & combing out. Quite disappointing, lots of downward roots all at different hights on the trunkline. Cutting back current vertical roots in the hope of finding horizontals would be fantastic, but if they are not there...? then I will just be making the tree taller... Looks like I've got alot of work to do. I'll probably go all out & either ground layer, or use Shibui's strip bark method. I know It's a major set back this early in the competition but as Steven said it's meant to be about improving our skills & having fun. If I don't meet the deadline in the 18months then that's ok, I'll just have to re-enter in REFINE in the next round of comp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on June 23rd, 2016, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

exploring is fun eh!
I had a similar issue with my Buxus the other day too. Get a chopstick and poke it in and under those roots to see what might lie beneath.
I got a little lucky with mine

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

That's a great Idea...If I find some I'll throw out a big sigh of relief :tu: ...Hopefully I wont have to remove too much. If I do, I think it will just make the tree a little to tall when ready for showing. As I don't have any shohin trees & haven't worked on any previously, this is going to be a real challenge. That's one of the many reasons that I entered the competition. Really not sure if I should develop the tree, get main branching in place first, then work on nebari... :?: or work on nebari & then branch placement... :?: Will have to choose one or the other...but for now will keep pondering :lost:
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on June 23rd, 2016, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Decided to do a bit of work on my tree today, removed the top ...& dug around to find out what was below soil level. Fairly disappointed as roots were all growing out at different levels. Heavy root prune was in order. Decided to strip bark quite a large section (just under 2/3rds of the base). Rooting hormone applied and wrapped in sphagnum & potted up. Let see if it works and new roots develop well.

Poor photo's but you get the idea................
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Bonsaiforest,
Looking forward to seeing how you develop this tree, it looks like a nice sized base for a shohin ... Hopefully you can generate a few roots where you want them to get that nebari underway! Just a question about your trunk chop, is there any reason you used an angled cut rather than straight across? Maybe there is a shoot there I can't make out in the photos, but if not just wondering if you had some other thinking that was the reason behind the angled chop.
Good luck - hope this one goes well for you!
:beer:
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hey Ryceman...No real reason for the angle chop. Just the way that I cut at the time with my concave cutters. I know the vert is poor but just so you can understand, there are buds on the right side of trunk where I have placed the second main branch. Then just above to the left, there are two more buds that I am hoping to use (1 of) as a new leader and create movement with a new trunk line. The other branching in vert would follow from there. Hopefully it all goes to plan :fc:

Hope this answers your questions

Cheers
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on July 23rd, 2016, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks for the explanation Bonsaiforest... and the vert too, helps to fill in the gaps! Look forward to seeing it take off in a couple of months!
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

A little more progression on my trident. Its had quite a bit of growth, although whish I had taken a pic of the tree before the major prune so you could have seen the growth. Side branches and leader have been selected. The main leader in the previous post has been removed and a new one grown to replace, angled slightly to the left gives a little more movement instead of the previous which was leaning to an awkward kinda right/straight. Can't really see nebari at the moment as I have buried it a little deeper, hopefully keeping it more moist around where I strip barked and applied sphagnum. Will see in early winter if It's managed to produce a few more roots.
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on November 14th, 2016, 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”