Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

[jezz_39] Willow Leaf Fig

Post by jezz_39 »

Species: Ficus Nerifolia
Height: 50mm
Source: Root Cutting from stock plant
Cost: Free

This is probably my most ambitious of all 3 entries :palm: About 10 weeks ago I sawed the root base off an old stock plant I've been growing out for a few years, originally wanted to keep the whole root section to grow a large clump but I didn't have a chainsaw on hand so I ended up lopping off 4 big tubers. I can't remember what the bases looked like so I chose this cutting to work on. Buds are just starting to open so I wont see much action until later in the year. Definitely no shortage of buds with these root cuttings. Might have to let the other 3 grow out for the next comp if this goes alright.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [jezz_39] Willow Leaf Fig

Post by jezz_39 »

With buds opening and extending all around the cut, its time to weed out everything growing inwards and begin to focus energy into just a few shoots to get the project underway. I've left more than I will need, will let these grow freely into spring and then select the best positioned shoots to continue on. I still cant remember what the base looks like, which will eventually decide which direction the tree goes. If it powers on through spring I MAY do a summer repot to work it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Most buds that were thinned out re-shot by the looks of this. Pushed to the back of the benches to grow, will need to do a tidy up to re-direct flow to the shoots I want to keep.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Shoots have been selected, they're starting to thicken up slowly. Need to get this into a pot and throw some wire on over the next week.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Decided to attack this tree to at least give it some direction, who knows, it may even end up looking half decent by the end of the comp :lol: Excuse the wiring.. :palm:
Regards,
Jeremy
[ Kane ]
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Redlands, QLD

Post by [ Kane ] »

That is great!!
zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

I really like this little fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Cheers fellas :beer: hoping to do some kind of justice to this stock. The other 2 root cuttings from this batch have just been planted in the ground, will see how the growth goes as this species tends to really bulk up in confined conditions.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Not much to report on. I just realised my update photo is of the back of the tree, perhaps it will make a better front hiding the chop. Looking forward to spring to bulk up the leaf density
Regards,
Jeremy
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

This'll power on in no time. Looking good!
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Jezz, I thought this was a very brave choice but you are being rewarded for your bravery and dedication. It really is coming along very well.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Brave or overly ambitious, Watto :P I learned from the previous comp that I could develop a design using a fig within the timeframe, but starting from a root cutting would give a massive disadvantage regarding vigour of initial growth. I'm happy to have grown some branches in useable spots, though I think the abrupt taper forming the apex will let me down in the end. There are as usual, many great entries in the current competition :tu: I thank you for your words, Watto
Regards,
Jeremy

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”