Damaging Wind

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Damaging Wind

Post by Watto »

NOT HAPPY JAN. Its official, I'm over the wind!!!!! I've had enough thankyou very much and I can now wait until August/September next year for the next bad dose.
A little while ago I posted a story about a very large Spruce, and it was coming along quite nicely (new buds, new shoots and new growth) until the wind gave it a big shove and down she came. I now have a very large tree on the ground (one I can't lift by myself), and a broken pot, an irrepairable steel stand/table and my turntable arrangement is knackered for ever. Of course I don't have a hugh pot just sitting around, so now I have nothing to re-pot the spruce into. I'm thinking about trying to do some shonky repair to the pot until I can get a new "proper" pot, but that could very well be quite a few weeks.
Thanks for listening as I now feel a bit better and I hope the tree lives to tell the tale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Damaging Wind

Post by Boics »

Yes watto.
The wind has been terrible this year.
Is been blowing a gale out there all day today again here.

Mate from what i can be the pot would likely repair ok.
Looks to be a pretty clean break which would probably glue together ok.
In the meantime a hessian bag around the stump maybe?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

That shonky repair could involve some liquid nails or builders big to get you through? Or a mad dash to the fruit and veg shop for a foam box?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Isi - it WAS a hexagonal pot about 1.2 metres across so a polystyrene box is out of the question, but thanks for the thoughts. The issue really is lifting it so I think the plan is to leave it where it is for a while, maybe get some plastic to cover the gaps and use tape as a temporary measure to keep it intact until the next potting opportunity?
I do think however this is a good add for wiring trees into pots?
Last edited by Watto on November 3rd, 2013, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Drac0
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus

Post by Drac0 »

Watto wrote:Isi - it WAS a hexagonal pot about 1.2 metres across so a polystyrene box is out of the question, but thanks for the thoughts. The issue really is lifting it so I think the plan is to leave it where it is for a while, maybe get some plastic to cover the gaps and use tape as a temporary measure to keep it intact until the next potting opportunity?
I do think however this is a good add for wiring trees into pots?
Big boy then. If it's safe where it is and unlikely to cause any distress to the tree I wouldn't move it until time to re-pot. Plastic, tape, hessian - whatever it takes to keep it as together as you can.

Does there seem to be more structural damage than that major break? You may be able to salvage the pot when you can finally get to it.

The wiring probably stopped the whole pot from going to pieces.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers
-Mark-
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks Mark. The pot does have some damage all around so when the time comes it is probably going in the bin. Just because of the size I need to have everything organised so the re-potting task just flows, so that will be some time down the track.

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”