Normal/Abnormal..two seasons, one year.

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Normal/Abnormal..two seasons, one year.

Post by bodhidharma »

I have heard of birds having two nestings, sometimes three but this is a first for me.A Crabapple flowering a second time in one season, after fruiting and a Cotoneaster flowering again while still in berry. Mom Nature is confused by our (non existent according to some) climate change. Any other Nursery's or Ausbonsai'ers experiencing this. There has been no defoliating etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Paul B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acers and deciduous
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Southern districts Bonsai club

Re: Normal/Abnormal..two seasons, one year.

Post by Paul B »

Hi Bohdi,

I have a mature avacado tree in my front yard that has just started to throw flower buds, the tree is full of fruit that are maybe a month off from picking :lost:
Paul B
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

i have winter irises flowering now and bottlebrushes flowering again? we had 2 weeks of night temps under 10 with a few around 5 so i think somethings think its autumn. hot weather at the end of this week will snap them out of it :(
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Its the same up here, my Prunus Xblireiana is sprting a few flowers at the moment. I havent defoliated it this year just tip pruned as & when needed.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

I worked for a nursery some 15-20 years ago and we had plants back then that would flower out of season or twice in one season. We had daffodils one year that didn't die off completly so we couldn't lift them. They had poor flowers the following year. The biggest problem with a plant flowering twice in one season is it tends to suck a lot of energy out of the plant and it can suffer the following year.

Josh
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I've regularly had trees in the orchard produce a few flowers in autumn. Not a full flowering, just a few bunches at a time. Some even produce small fruit but no time to ripen before winter - pears, apples, plums, etc.
Often see wisteria with a few autumn flowers too.
Many natives are opportunistic like Matt's callistemon. They will flower whenever conditions suit and I think its common for some callistemon species to flower again in autumn.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”