Full Sun

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Dennis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Full Sun

Post by Dennis »

:?: When information on the best growing conditions for a native (Banksia ) indicate "full sun" does that include full sun
in places like Broken Hill or does it mean full sun in the mountains or cooler growing areas. I am taking delivery of a started Banksia
next week and dont want to see it crisp up after a few days. Most of my trees are in shade with some late afternoon sun and I have to
watch for burning of the leaves.
Cheers
Dennis
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Re: Full Sun

Post by bonzaidog »

Hi Dennis, My Banksia Littoralis are in full sun in Perth,But I rekon that checking with the supplier about what sort of conditions the tree has been growing in,then allowing some recovery time for your own conditions,or try to replicate a similar set of conditions at home ,if that makes sense. I think if the tree went from comfy conditions,then to hot/dry etc and vice versa ,all of a sudden you will get problems, a good head start is to get as much background info from the supplier as you can,if possible ,even down to watering and feeding regimes.
Hope this helps :) ....Dog.
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Yep, what the 'dog said. How is the tree being delivered to you? If it is going to be couped up for a couple of days during delivery it will need a level of aftercare when it arrives at yours. I think I would be keeping it in 'comfy' conditions for a while after it arrives in any case. Then try your best to replicate the growing conditions it enjoyed at it's old home. Never had a Banksia myself, but I believe once established, they are fairly hardy. Good luck with it.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The banksia in question has been growing in full sun (Northeast Vic full sun, not Broken Hill full sun) and watered each morning and evening. It has had other trees around it which would probably provide some added protection with increased humidity and a little shading. Overhead watering also means relatively moist ground below the benches providing added humidity for much of the day. The banksias are growing strongly at the moment and this one has quite a few very soft shoots which will be good indicators.

I think you could err on the side of caution and provide some shade and/or humidity for the tree initially and see how it adapts. The new shoots wilt when the tree is stressed or dry so these will be a good indicator of how it is enjoying the change of scenery.

Good Luck :fc:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”