Feeding

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Hutch11
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley

Feeding

Post by Hutch11 »

Hi everyone,

I am very new to Bonsai and have the 'bug' big time,

I have just planted some Satsuki, a japanese maple and a juniper,

They seem to be going fairly well.. when should I feed them and do they require different types of feed to one another. What is the bgest method for feeding, ie. can anyone tell me a step by step guide to feeding them,

Any help would be great,
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Feeding

Post by Bretts »

Hey Hutch noticed you did not have a response so thought I better give you a quick one.
Generally bonsai are fertilised the same as any other plant. Follow instructions carefully on the fertiliser packaging as to dilution and regularity. I usually follow the ornamental instructions preferably for potted plants.
It may be best to hold of fertilising for about 6 weeks after repotting and azaleas will need special azalea fert.
I would link you too my fertiliser regime but I am changing to a new plan at the moment.
I tree can die very easily from over fertilising but will last a long time from a deficiency so take it slow.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Re: Feeding

Post by Jow »

Hutch11 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am very new to Bonsai and have the 'bug' big time,

I have just planted some Satsuki, a japanese maple and a juniper,

They seem to be going fairly well.. when should I feed them and do they require different types of feed to one another. What is the bgest method for feeding, ie. can anyone tell me a step by step guide to feeding them,

Any help would be great,
Also don't discount the search feature at the top of the page.....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1891

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”