Hail Storm

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Hail Storm

Post by Watto »

Last Thursday there was a hail storm in our area. Hail and bonsai are not compatible and usually there is only one winner. There was some damage to a few of my bonsai but nothing critical, but I did do a 'run' during the worst of the hail to rescue one of my little darlings, something only mad bonsai people do! :palm:
One funny thing was a group planting that had pit marks in the moss so I thought you might be interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on October 17th, 2021, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Hail Strom

Post by Keels »

My worst nightmare... A hailstorm. Brave man for making a dash to save your trees. How big was the hail? I heard Sydney had some big ones too.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

More like silly man, the hail started off small nut soon got to about golf ball size.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

You could think of them as ‘speed holes,’ if it helps. Very classy, highly sought after in some circles.
Or perhaps you can incorporate an astronaut figurine to fit with a meteorite impact crater scene?
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

So which one is the one that you risked it all for ? I know when it happens up here I run around like a mad chook chucking trees under tables and screaming like a banshee at the sky . Luckily I live on acreage other wise my neighbours would ring the cops .
Each time it happens I promise myself to make a proper bench with hail netting . One day .
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I feel the pain! A few weeks back i had decent hail at my house, fortunately while I was home, and I sprinted outside to bring trees under the patio to protect them and that was from much smaller hail than you got!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I have a hawthorn that has pink flowers and it has a thousand flower buds this year (true, not joking) and I want a few photos of it so I went out and got a few bruise's for it.
I hope it was worth it! I will post a few photos when it all happens.
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Hail Storm

Post by Phil Rabl »

I got smashed by hail over a decade ago in Canberra. Since then I have built hail protection into my bonsai stands. There's little you can do with whopper hail, but every little bit of protection helps. Here is a photo of the weld-mesh I have on the top of my display stand. I also rollout shade cloth on top of it in summer and when hail/storms are forecast. Anything that hits the mesh will break. The shade cloth won't stop golf balls, but will stop smaller hail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I wondered if you'd been affected Watto, glad to see you were able to contain the damage.

Phil I have similar over some of my trees, and it does stop the worst of it. It looks like it might be another bumper season for hail, sadly. :(
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Phil Rabl wrote: October 17th, 2021, 10:52 amHere is a photo of the weld-mesh I have on the top of my display stand. I also rollout shade cloth on top of it in summer and when hail/storms are forecast. Anything that hits the mesh will break. The shade cloth won't stop golf balls, but will stop smaller hail.
I might borrow that idea Phil. I've been meaning to add a shadecloth over my stand for summer and the weld-mesh looks like a good addition. We don't get much in the way of crazy hail in Adelaide, but a few years back so much fell in such a short time that it looked like snow.

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”