Relocating Trees to Queensland

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Ballarat

Relocating Trees to Queensland

Post by HeyLuke »

Hi, I am planning to move from Victoria (Central Highlands) to Sunshine Coast around Easter time next year. I have two questions, please:

Firstly, does anyone know the logistics of moving trees and plants into Queensland. Ie, rules, requirements, quarantine, declarations, etc?

Second (and I think the answers to this are going to sting quite a bit :( ) but which of the below species will be happy in the south-eastern QLD climate and which do I need to sell :( :( :( before I go?

Common Hawthorn
Alberta Spruce
Japanese Maple
Hinoki Cypress
Cypress (other)
JBP
Juniper (various)
Chinese Elm
Irish Strawberry
Desert Ash
Black She-oak
Sticky Wattle
Sequoia
Lebanese Cedar

Thanks in advance.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Relocating Trees to Queensland

Post by shibui »

I believe there is a notional plant quarantine for southern plants north of Brisbane?? but the reality is there is no checks so plants go through all the time. I don't think you'll have any problems there.

I'll be interested to hear from members up there as to which species do well but I think most of your list will be OK.
JBP, Chinese elm and junipers are grown into FNQ.
Japanese maple may survive for a few years but probably won't do as well as down here. Maybe swap those for ficus.

Not sure about the others. Wait to hear from the northern brethren.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Kedron Brook »

These answers are drawn from my visiting shows and Google search. Gardenia.net is often helpful. Two links at the bottom to relevant Qld gov websites. No, there is no obvious problem to bring them here. Are you aware of any Botanic pests or plagues in your current vicinity? You should check for such info.

If you attempt to transition the Lebanese Cedar, please update on here or me directly. I want to keep one to remind me of a dear friend.

Several species from your list are here and thriving. However the transition may stress members of your personal collection.

I now know we are on guard not only against Fire Ants but Electric Ants too! Where are they getting these super powers :reading: How can they be stopped :o

Common Hawthorn - probably not
Alberta Spruce - probably not
Japanese Maple - badly, one fellow in Murrumba Downs swears yes and they are in the sales area at shows but not on show
Hinoki Cypress - yes
Cypress (other) - yes
JBP - definitely yes
Juniper (various) - definitely yes
Chinese Elm - definitely yes
Irish Strawberry - yes
Desert Ash - yes
Black She-oak - definitely yes
Sticky Wattle - definitely yes
Sequoia - yes
Lebanese Cedar - probably not, naturally found 1km above sea level

Biosecurity
https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industr ... within-qld

Prohibited / Restricted Plants
https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industr ... s/invasive
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HeyLuke »

A quick bump to see if anyone else has some insights. If not, no worries, I'll let it go...
Luke.
bubba92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by bubba92 »

I'd get in touch with Simply Japanese Bonsais, Michael is super helpful and knowledgeable and a Sunshine Coast local. He'll be a handy guy to know too 8-)
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

You will more than likely need biosecurity certificate(s) and an approved treatment of pesticide/ fungicide within a certain time frame of shipping then

This link will get you started but your best bet would be to directly speak to them about your specific situation as mostly this is set up for commercial growers
https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industr ... ertificate.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'd just have to add that where you're going on the Sunshine Coast will depend on how your trees will cope. If you're planning on moving to the hinterland, your trees will have a much less stressful transition. If you're planning on moving to the coastal area, the temps and humidity will probably cause some of them to suffer.

I grow Japanese Maple here in Western Brisbane, but know people down near the bay who can't keep them alive. I suspect most of the temperate climate trees will be similar, but I'm only guessing.
bubba92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bubba92 »

melbrackstone wrote: October 1st, 2023, 8:25 am I'd just have to add that where you're going on the Sunshine Coast will depend on how your trees will cope. If you're planning on moving to the hinterland, your trees will have a much less stressful transition. If you're planning on moving to the coastal area, the temps and humidity will probably cause some of them to suffer.

I grow Japanese Maple here in Western Brisbane, but know people down near the bay who can't keep them alive. I suspect most of the temperate climate trees will be similar, but I'm only guessing.
I'm fairly sure the hinterland is more humid than the coast. The hinterland also gets colder in winter, whereas the coast has a more mild winter because of the ocean, the maples must appreciate the cooler winters away from the ocean :)
HeyLuke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HeyLuke »

Thank you for the extra info and comments. I have sent a couple of messages through the Sunshine Coast Bonsai Society website, but no replies as yet, unfortunately.

Interesting about inland vs coastal. We are looking in the Hinterland area as an option.

Next steps are to contact Michael, I think.

Much appreciated.
L.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm fairly sure the hinterland is more humid than the coast.
You're right, there is a slight difference, I guess the sea breeze comes into play when you're closer to the coast.

Because the hinterland is cooler, the temperate plants should transition ok, as I suggested.

Micro-climate in the specific area you're moving to will also come into play. Coming from the Central highlands of Vic, the temperature and humidity ranges are likely to be quite a lot different. It might take a couple of years of growing them under shade cloth to transition them to Qld's strong sun.

Bringing the plants to Qld should not be a problem, but if you're wanting to take them out of the state again, you could be in trouble. NSW has closed its border to Qld because of fire ants, and although this is an emergency order that currently only runs for 6 months, there's a very good chance it'll be extended.

I'd try to get rid of the cool temperate plants, and be ready to deal with sub-tropicals instead. There's a very good bonsai club on the Sunshine coast, with helpful members who might be able to give you advance info.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It might take a couple of years of growing them under shade cloth to transition them to Qld's strong sun.
I'm pretty sure that plants adapt quite a lot quicker than years if they are able to adapt. Any new foliage that emerges will adapt immediately to the conditions it is in. Older leaves take a few weeks to adapt. Stems and roots should not need to change because of climate or sun.

It may take a bit longer for the grower to adapt watering, trimming and other care to the new conditions.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

It might take a couple of years of growing them under shade cloth to transition them to Qld's strong sun.
Ok, it might take a couple of years growing them under shade cloth until you get a handle of Qld's strong sun. :D

Seriously though, I grow my Japanese maple youngsters under shade cloth year round. The strong ones get half day sun, and some get indirect light on the southern side of the house because that's the hottest in Summer. The micro-climates in each part of your yard will be different and you'll just have to work out what goes where. I don't have a large yard, and have to shuffle my trees every season to catch the sun. Luckily hubs built me a fair few stands with wheels. (So he isn't having to shift the trees.)
bubba92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bubba92 »

HeyLuke wrote: October 1st, 2023, 5:02 pm Thank you for the extra info and comments. I have sent a couple of messages through the Sunshine Coast Bonsai Society website, but no replies as yet, unfortunately.

Interesting about inland vs coastal. We are looking in the Hinterland area as an option.

Next steps are to contact Michael, I think.

Much appreciated.
L.
You could try contacting Averil Stanley directly through facebook too, she's very involved with the sunshine coast bonsai society, and very helpful. Are you in the sunshine coast bonsai society group on facebook? If you are, you could try posting directly on the wall there, I'm sure you'll get replies 8-)

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”