Mid Spring and Snowing

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Mid Spring and Snowing

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Slight detour for spring tonight, it just started snowing!! In October!! I was getting sick of the rain, but really :roll: :roll: :roll:
That's the last time I hang it on you Queenslanders and your lack of seasons :D .

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Mid Spring and Snowing

Post by Matthew »

mate its suppose to be -1 here tonight :o :( was a massive storm here all day 85mm and 90km hour winds has receded for now thank god but not much flowers left on my palona tree and a couple of trees down. Bring spring back!
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

It's been going all night and is still falling gently, this is by far the latest in the year that we have had snow since we moved here in 2007, it fell to just under 0 degrees at 11pm but it has warmed up to a comfy 2.5, I just went for a short walk around the farm and it is quite nice. I was rugged up like a St Petersburg traffic cop though :lol: It will be interesting to see if this affects the already growing trees. The foliage and soil doesn't freeze like it does in a frost, so I am expecting that the trees will just mope about for a few days until it warms up again. I bet it looks pretty up at Craig's this morning and perhaps Noah's got a bit of a dusting as well. What about you lot up in Canberra?

Cheers,
Mojo

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

No snow here last night just good steady rain, and this morning is blue skies and freezing but its still coming straight from the south so no doubt theres a bit more to come yet. I don't think your trees will miss a beat Mojo they are mostly northern hemisphere plants so this kind of weather would be the norm for them.
Craigw
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Good morning Craig,
I'm surprised that there hasn't been any at Olinda yet, up here it is still going now and has been on and off since 11pm last night. We are at about the same altitude as you, 520m. It must be just going either side of you.

Cheers,
Mojo

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Its been lightly snowing all morning at Goulburn, but its too wet to settle. I had to come inside as it was getting just a bit too chilly for bonsai work.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Snow in Daylesford but not here in Shepherds Flat. 10k's from here to daylesford and a 2 degree (usually) difference in temp. I dont know if i am happy about no snow or not .I like snow :(
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Apparently there was snow flurries all night up in the township about 150m higher than us here. We have been getting super fine hail showers all morning but now snow. The rain has been endless though and the garden is looking unbelievable.
Craigw
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

Craig, would love to see a few pics of the garden :D
And I haven't seen snow since I was about 12 years old :P 14 years ago!!
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Nathan, I will just give it another week then take some for you. All the spring flowering deciduous shrubs are just fat with buds and by this time next week they should be out.
Craigw

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”