What are these grubs on my juniper?

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

What are these grubs on my juniper?

Post by Phil Rabl »

Earlier today I trimmed an advanced Nepal juniper and found about 50 grubs in cocoons about 3-4 cm long and a little thicker than a match. The cocoons had some web-like material in their structure but some of them had used a rolled up leaf too. There was no apparent damage to the juniper but the cocoons had added to the tightness of the over-grown foliage (it had not been trimmed for a couple of growing seasons until today) partly because they were a bit sticky and held branchlets together. I have never seen anything like this before. Can anyone identify them from the enclosed photos? The grubs are about 2cm long and the thickness of a match.
I am in Canberra
890D6F69-4DE6-402F-ADAF-CD51F06663A2.jpeg
192461BE-94E8-4C94-8EDC-FF1C524ECBF4.jpeg
D773F2F3-B24E-46BE-BCB1-2BA61AE28ABB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: What are these grubs on my juniper?

Post by MJL »

Interesting Phil. I cannot answer your question but only add that I had an infestation in one of my cedars too. A spray of Mortein killed them all ... Of note - I only found them in one other plant and they had killed it - I hadn’t noticed 100’s of them in a hanging-basket geranium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: What are these grubs on my juniper?

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hey Phil - do a quick google search under "bagworms" (or case moths) to maybe help identify?

Return to “Pests and Diseases”