Juniperus Squamata Prostrata - mold/blight??

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
BonsaiBlade12
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Juniperus Squamata Prostrata - mold/blight??

Post by BonsaiBlade12 »

Hi,
I neee help with following - I have a juniper that appears to be diseased on certain branches after pruning 1 month ago.

Can ysomeone please advise if I need to spray fungicide?

And do I need to disenfect my sciossors before cutting each branch ?

Please see images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Juniperus Squamata Prostrata - mold/blight??

Post by terryb »

Looks like a scale infestation to me but not the normal small juniper scale I get. Putting your location in your profile will help with advice.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Looks like some sort of bugs to me too but not one I am familiar with either.
Disinfecting the scissors won't help. If it is an insect it will be able to spread all by itself. If it is some other disease it will also spread through the sap to all parts of the tree. Definitely disinfect before using tools on other trees and bag and bin any bits that you take off this tree.

I would try a systemic insecticide first. They can move right through the tree so every bug gets some.
Contact insecticides must tough the bugs to kill and many don't get hit first time round. Use contact insecticides several times over a few weeks to get as many as possible.
Check any nearby trees to see if any of those bugs have moved to other trees.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

As with wot shibui said. photo is a bit blurr--- do they fly or is it attached?--- whitefly or scale? or other --keep it separate from other plants-- I would try a pyrethrum spray first then if no change a couple of days later a premixed scale spray. Or first try a strong jet of water to see if it shifts.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

This looks pretty close and explains the different shaped individuals (males and females), which threw me at first. Again, some indication of locality would help further. Some control options listed as well
https://extension.uga.edu/programs-serv ... iperi.html
BonsaiBlade12
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by BonsaiBlade12 »

Just an update on the juniper and the scale infestation, I was able to treat the Infestation using a YATES scale spray from bunnings. But as noted, the scales still linger around my bonsai even after a couple of weekly sprays.

They turn into black stick onto the leaves, the milky appearance disappears.

Any good examples of systematic Insecticides or Contact Insecticides that I could use in treating this ongoing scale infection ?

Im intending to use a eco oil in a garden pressure canister which has more detailed range.

FYI to all I reside in Sydney.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

changing colour after treatment is probably a good sign-- as it will be warmer soon, could you do a tip or cleanout prune to remove most bugs and open up the foliage?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Note that the scale shells will still remain on the plant even after the insects are dead so make sure you are worrying about live pests not dead ones.
Repeat sprays are usually needed to treat new hatched ones and any the first spray missed. Each treatment gets a few more survivors and 3 or 4 thorough sprays should kill all. Make sure you spray well to cover all surfaces - top and bottom, inside and out.

Confidor is the most common systemic but there are concerns over its affect on non target species like honey bees so it has been banned in Europe and Bunnings have elected not to stock it even though it is still available in Australia. You may find some at an independent plant nursery but please be sensible and don't use it on any plants that are flowering or will flower in the next few weeks.

I have not used Neem oil based insecticides but there are lots of reports of good success rates with it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pests and Diseases”