Bye bye blackbirds.

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Re: Bye bye blackbirds.

Post by Waltron »

Digging soil and moss out of pots is one thing, but they have stripped bark off trees that has taken 10+ years to develop. And not a piece here or there, I now have a melaleuca for example that literally has no paper bark left on it! That is true Kirky, it is all in how one looks at it. In my case it is the birds interests vs mine.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

I think you will find the bark is being eaten by rats. Its a common problem. Last year two trees were stripped of bark both garden trees. Well established easily A third to two thirds of the trees were damaged. A Bonsai Nursery in Melbourne also had the same problem of damage being done to bark on trees. I have never heard of black birds being culprits for destroying bark. Well placed rat bait should see you right.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

KIRKY wrote: July 17th, 2019, 2:12 pm . Well placed rat bait should see you right.
Cheers
Kirky
Sorry Kirky ,It's a matter of perspective .
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Sno wrote: July 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm [quote=KIRKY post_id=268252 time=<a href="tel:1563336727">1563336727</a> user_id=513]
. Well placed rat bait should see you right.
Cheers
Kirky
Sorry Kirky ,It's a matter of perspective .
[/quote]
To expand on my previous post . One is an introduced feral pest that reeks havoc on our native environment commonly called The Rat . The other is an introduced feral pest that reeks havoc on our native environment commonly called The Black Bird .
Cheers Sno

Return to “Pests and Diseases”