Curly grub

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Styrax,juniper,pine,anything that has a leaf on it
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsaiempire.com

Re: Curly grub

Post by raewynk »

ImageOn a serious note I bought a Daintree pine and couldn't figure out why it didn't flourish with the care. I posted and advised to soften the feeder roots and look and behold a few curly grabs emerged . I ended up bare rooting the tree with a few good wash out and completely changed the soil and no problem since. With that tree. I just do routinely now when I buy and repot bare root and change the soil to my own.
Interesting to hear what you say about the sharp soil though stands to reason with their translucent skin. Ugh

Before Roger and Dodge were employed.
No hire charge available sorry. You have to train your own.
:grin::grin:
Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by raewynk on July 10th, 2014, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My grey hair is my solar panel, as with the leaf on the bonsai is theirs.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

A couple of years ago I found curl grubs in a few of my pots - unfortunately only noticed after a few trees looked half dead. I thought that they were too dry so increased watering, alas to no benefit. Thinking that the soil was compacted and wasn't absorbing water, I then left the pots in a bucket of water over night and drowned the buggers :evil: Found a few on the top of the soil the next morning. Note to self curl grubs don't swim very well :shake: Mind you I would be reluctant to try this method with trees that don't like wet feet e.g. pines
willy66
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by willy66 »

65muzzy wrote: July 8th, 2014, 9:32 pm Discovered last week that 2 of my elms had curly grubs in the soil. So today I repotted them both after I removed all the soil. My question is where do these curly grubs come from as I have always kept the pots off the ground. Is it possible that I bought them with the grubs already in the pots. The first elm that I re potted had about 10 grubs. What can I do so that the grubs do not return. Thanks in advance. By the way, are you also using a durag just like the ones from this link more details to protect your hair from the sun while gardening? If so, please also share with me where you buy your durags and if you have other hair accessories that you use too.
It's frustrating to discover grubs in your potted plants, and it's important to take steps to prevent their return. Curly grubs, which are actually the larval stage of various beetles, can sometimes find their way into potted plants through a few different means. Here are some possibilities and steps you can take to prevent their return:

Purchased with the grubs: It's possible that the pots or the potting soil you used contained grubs when you initially acquired the plants. This can happen if the soil or pots were not properly sterilized or stored.

Prevention: When buying new plants or soil, inspect them carefully and ensure they appear healthy. You might also consider repotting new plants in fresh, sterile potting mix.
Climbing into pots: Some beetle species can crawl into pots from the ground, especially if the pots were in contact with the ground or had drainage holes that allowed grubs to enter.

Prevention: Elevate your pots slightly by using pot feet or a stand. This can help prevent grubs from crawling into the pots from the ground. Ensure that your pots have proper drainage, but consider using mesh or screens over drainage holes to prevent access for grubs.
Contaminated tools: It's possible that gardening tools used on infested plants may transfer grubs to other pots.

Prevention: Regularly clean and sterilize your gardening tools, especially when moving between different plants or pots.
Overwatering: Overly wet soil can attract beetles to lay their eggs in your pots.

Prevention: Be mindful of your watering habits. Allow the top layer of soil to dry out between waterings to deter beetle activity.
Natural predators: Sometimes, grubs are attracted to the soil in potted plants because they feed on organic matter, such as decomposing roots or plant debris.

Prevention: Regularly check and clean the soil in your pots. Remove dead plant material and debris to discourage grubs from making your pots their home.
Chemical control: If you have a severe infestation, you may consider using insecticides labeled for grub control. Follow the instructions on the product carefully and ensure it is suitable for the specific type of beetle grubs you're dealing with.

By taking these preventive measures, you can reduce the likelihood of grubs returning to your potted plants. Regular maintenance and vigilance are key to keeping your plants healthy and pest-free.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”