Ringtail possums eating my trees!

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Aquaman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Ringtail possums eating my trees!

Post by Aquaman »

I have been away for a few days and came home to find fresh possum poo around my tress and 2 trees knocked off my bench.

The smell of the Dynamic Lifter has now gone.

I do think the DL was somewhat effective when it was fresh and the smell was really strong, but you would have to reapply it very regularly if you wanted a long term solution.

I guess I will have to look at a physical barrier or an electronic deterrent. :(
Suz
Favorite Species: Oak
Bonsai Club: Hobart

Post by Suz »

How did u end up going with your Possum problem?..
Ive been having trouble with quite a few in an Oak Tree.
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeK »

Suz wrote: January 27th, 2020, 2:32 am How did u end up going with your Possum problem?..
Ive been having trouble with quite a few in an Oak Tree.
I've been getting hammered by ring tails the last couple of months and ended up building plastic mesh cages which seems to be the only way to stop them.

I tried dynamic lifter (worked for 1 night only, failure the following), blood & bone (same as DL), possum sprays (no effect at all ... think they like the taste as test sprayed tree - a crepe myrtle - was the first thing they ate that night!), fence spikes (climbed over them as though they weren't there). Even when I got up in the middle of the night to chase them away, they'd just give me the evil eye for disturbing dinner but wouldn't move (until I got the hose)

The other thing I found was trees on the ground or on my outdoor table in the middle of the lawn did not get touched ... only the trees they could get to from tree branches & fence. Assume they don't like to cross open ground
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

I’d tried all the old wives tales.
My bonsai are on the ground and the possums have no issues eating them.

The only thing that has worked is building a full enclosure.
It was very cheap. Just used metal T fence stakes, hammered them in and wrapped strong chicken wire around the enclosed perimeter and also over the top. Tied them to the stakes with wire. Staked the bottom with tent pegs so there’s no way in. Problem solved. However it doesn’t keep the grasshoppers out and it’s a little bit annoying if you want to get immediate access.
So I left the top with a ‘flip top’ open section that I just tie with a few points so it takes about 5 minutes to open. :beer:

Also, growing material they don’t eat is a plus, and that material stays outside the enclosure. Unfortunately for those with possums, they adore Crepe myrtle, Japanese maples etc. it might be worth growing Banksia and Casuarina. Possums rarely touch these genus.

If they want to eat something, nothing deters them.
We had 2 dogs and tried all the tricks everyone recommended, but at the end of the day, if they can’t physically get to the bonsai, then it will work.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

I had a problem with cats using the mulched area of my front garden as a toilet. After trying various other scent deterrents that didn't work I bought a fairly cheap ultrasonic sound emitter that's got a motion sensor built in from the big green shed. Haven't had a problem since. I don't know if it would have the same effect on possums, but with cats it's effective.
Good luck, :fc:
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

https://www.sureguard.com.au/shop/produ ... ssums-1485

This worked at our house. My bonsai are on a wall, though I have unprotected ones in the ground underneath the wall and they haven’t been touched. I haven’t had a possum attack since the pingg string went up. You can get ground barriers as well but I haven’t needed to install one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daryl R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Olives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Daryl R »

Have U tried Garlic spray... we R in the middle of Possum central (built Possum boxes to get them out of the ceiling)... Used it on the vegies with gud success
Good luck
Daryl R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Olives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Daryl R »

Have U tried Garlic spray... we R in the middle of Possum central (built Possum boxes to get them out of the ceiling)... Used it on the vegies with gud success
Good luck

Return to “Pests and Diseases”