Mold at base of bonsai :-S

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Emoska
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Amur Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Mold at base of bonsai :-S

Post by Emoska »

Hi all,

My partner's bonsai developed some algae on its base a week or so ago, potentially from over-watering.

As a result, we sprayed some vinegar over the patch to kill it. While the algae is mostly dead now, in its place has formed some really light green powdery stuff- and some white furry stuff. Both of which look like they could be mold.

Any ideas for how to treat this carefully?

Thanks!
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Mold at base of bonsai :-S

Post by Bretts »

The original method of using the vinegar was to scrub with a tooth brush. I used and recommended spraying the vinegar as it was suggested to me for my very coarse barked seiju elm where the bark was too delicate for scrubbing with a tooth brush. It worked very well.
I would possibly try a tooth brush with just water on it. It may just be a residue of the dead mold. If it persisted I would then try using the tooth brush with vinegar.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Emoska
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Amur Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Mold at base of bonsai :-S

Post by Emoska »

Thanks Bretts,

I'll certainly try and and scrub the plant tomorrow and over the next few days, with and without vinegar.

I've attached a photo too, just to show a little more of this potential 'mold', to see if that's what it actually is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”