Maples & Aphids

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 19

Maples & Aphids

Post by BoNZai »

In the last week I have been unindated with aphids on the Japanese Maples. Black, green, big fat juicy ones. I can understand why they like it at my place. Lots of healthy growth, young shoots full of nitrogen.
if I were an aphid, I would like to live here too.

I normally do not worry too much about aphids, I can manually control them or slosh them off with some water. Especially in the rose garden I just use the water hose and wash them off.

Different story with the Japanese maples. The new growth is very young and sappy and is easlily damaged by either trying to get your fingers in there or by using a jet of water out of the garden hose or even a spray bottle.

Last year after spraying the roses I had some pesticide left over and sprayed on garden maple with aphids. Bad mistake, burned just about every leaf off!
So chemical sprays in the early season are a no no! Probably a no no on Japanese maples full stop!

Do any of you use a "Maple young growth friendly" spray that might knock the aphid numbers down?
Detergent?

Thanks

BoNZai
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Maples & Aphids

Post by kcpoole »

I have used "confidor" on my azaleas and maples with no ill effects

From this site http://www.bayercropscience.com.au/cs/p ... asp?id=148
Confidor will control aphids.
As allways, Test on a small section first

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I also use Confidor not sure if you can get in N.Z if not persevere with the detergent you could add some vegatable oil to the detergent.
To make it more sticky to the Aphids. I have used in the past only got a couple of Shohin sized ones I am working now So I will have to watch out.
Pup :)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Post by teejay »

I've used pymethrin and confidor or japanese maples with no burning of the leaves. I'm current spraying them every few days to rid myself of the suspected Thrip problem.
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
Chris H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All of them.
Bonsai Club: School of bonsai

Post by Chris H »

Confidor seems to resolve most issues at my place.
Aikido keeps me rolling; Bonsai keeps me still.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Confidor and Pest Oil takes care of nearly everything.
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

confidor here, but If you can't get it, I have heard that garlic spray works, boil up some garlic, allow to cool, add a little oil, mix and spray. don't know how maples would take it. I've never used it myself, I use confidor :lol:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

I use to have garlic growing under my roses and i never had problems with aphids. Try growing a pot of garlic next to your bonsai's and every now or then brush over the garlic leaves with your hand. Or even grow them under your benches if you have them. My cats always played under the roses and trampled the garlic. I beleive the aroma kept the aphids away. Good luck! ;)
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Hey guys, thanks for all your prompt replies.

It was the natural pyrethrum that caused the burning last year on the maples :(

Petra, the garlic does work, I grow it under my roses as well with good results.Unfortunately, I have no garlic in close vicinity to the maples and it is a bit late to plant garlic now to have an affect.
I might try a boil up and see if it works on one maple and the rest I'll treat with Confidor.

Thanks again,

BoNZai
Deadwood
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Deadwood »

I used a pyrethrum last year and it did burn but i found it was whatever that was in with it that did the damage. Was the spray you used in a pressure pack? I changed to a punp pack and it was a lot watery not as oily and there was no damage. Also use Confidor on nearly everything with no problems as yet.
My Mission - To own at least one tree that sends Shivers down your spine every time you look at it. ( Don't want much eh? )
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

I use Yates powder, the one home vege growers use on cabages. It's plant extract and all natural. Works like a charm on my Japanese maples. Oh, you could also eat those yummy leaves the next day without ill effects. Just need to wash them :)
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Over here on the other side of the ball, I have discovered that some systemic pesticides cause leaf drop on Acers. I have found the soapy water or detergent ample to control aphids. Bearing in mind of course that this is a 'contact' treatment, all surfaces of the leaves must be coated including underneath. This method may be repeated again and again with no adverse reaction from the plants. A little added to the water butts prevents mosquito lavae and daphnia from breeding there.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Again, thanks for your comments and confidence in Confidor. Someone told me today to hang banana skins in the trees, apparantly the aphids hate the smell, a bit like garlic I suppose :o
Also she send me a page long of benefits to the human body on consuming nanas :D
So. 2 birds with one nana :D

Cheers

BoNZai
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Forget the chemicals BoNZai, try Beat a Bug Insect spray and natural plant food. It has Chilli, Garlic and Pyrethrum and works great as well as being organic! It's available in NZ and has won awards there. Check out their website here:http://beatabug.net/ .

Put your maple in a shady spot for a couple of days after spraying, that should stop any possibility of leaf burn.

Cheers
MM

P.S. Aphid problems can be avoided by a winter spray with Lime Sulphur (diluted), which will kill overwintering eggs. It will stain pots though so be careful to cover them up.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Thanks MM,
Yep, I'm with you on getting rid of the chemicals. Sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind and I guess that was the situation I was in this week :(
I sprayed with Confidor last night and this morning there is a black carpet of dead aphids under a few trees.
Once the aphid population is under control I will certainly purchase some Beat a Bug insect spray and use it.
Thanks for your input and thinking of mother nature

BoNZai

Return to “Pests and Diseases”