Bee problem

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Prunus, Malus, Quince, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Bee problem

Post by astroboy76 »

Hi, does anyone else have any issues with bees? my brother and i and finding more and more bees plaguing our bonsai. they dont seem to be bothering with the flowers as much as they are eating? drinking? the soil or the moisture from the soil out of the bottom of the pots. perhaps they are taking nutrients from the soil?? i have no idea, but soem days we have so many bees on our bonsai we cant get to them of fear of being stung (i am allergic).

has anyone else ever had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?
Diversity is essential
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Re: Bee problem

Post by Japh »

Wow! That's crazy! Not even after the flowers? What do you guys water your trees with? Sugar water? ;)

But seriously... it might help to know what you have put on your trees, in the sense of what soil mix, what fertilisers, what other sprays or liquids?

Or, possibly even you're washing the good bits off the flowers when you water your bonsai, thus making the water the more interesting bit to the bees??
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Prunus, Malus, Quince, Elms

Post by astroboy76 »

wel, we use bonsai potting mix we got from flower power and we fertilise using seasol. its strange cos the little water holes in the bottom of black plastic pots is where the bees are going. its unbelieveable the amount of bee's we get. i am hesitant to kill them though. dont liek the idea of spraying them etc. plus i dont want to anger them and get stung...
Diversity is essential
Jonden
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 45
Bonsai Club: Nepean bonsai Society Inc. Bonsai Society of Australia Inc. National

Post by Jonden »

I had this happen about a month ago, but only on 1 bonsai, a Juniper. The bees stayed for about 2 weeks then disappeared. I thought they were going to build a hive under the pot there were so many of them.
Have no idea what this behaviour is. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Cheers, Jonden
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I have had this problem for a while ( several Years) at my old house
Someone locally had a hive or 2, but could never figure out where they were so could not get them removed.

The bees are after the water, and as we constantly water our trees they have a guaranteed supply.
They were never agressive and would never land so just ignored them and never worried me or my family ( i am semi allergic).

The only way to stop them will be to remove the hive if you can find it. Or cover you trees and area with Fly wire to stop them getting the moisture. This woud be a pain for me but maybe OK for you.

I eventually fixed the problem by moving house!. No bees here, Just a friendly Magpie :-)

Good luck
Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 19

Post by BoNZai »

Just wondering if it is the Seasol, I have been making seaweed extracts for a few years now using kelp from the local beach. at a certain point in the brewing process, it attracts a lot of bees. They seem to lay eggs just above the waterline in the drum. A few weeks later they are all gone.
I think that the brewing process reaches a certain level where the bees are attracted to the sugars.

I have just taken a Brix reading of my kelp brew that I started 3 weeks ago and it is reading 4 degrees. I also taken a reading of Seasol and it showed a reading of 18.

Just to explain what this all means: We use the brix reading to ascertain the sugar levels in grapes. It gives a measure of maturity and tells us when to harvest. the higher the brix, the more sugars are present
Grapes are harvested around 20-25 degrees

Just wondering if you should discontinue Seasol on some plants and see if the bees disappear. Also put a small open container with diluted Seasol amongst the plants and see if it attracts bees.

Hope this helps,

BoNZai
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

I found that bees are very attracted to fish emulsion, but I am not sure about seasol. Bees are considered beneficial insects in our garden.

Cheers
MM
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

No bees here, Just a friendly Magpie
wonder how friendly it will be in breeding season :lol:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

I agree! Got attacked twice last week during a cycle ride! Got holes in my helmet to prove it.
At least we are allowed to shoot them in NZ :lol:

boNZai
Gary Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Most
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai/Bonsai Society of Australia

Post by Gary Bee »

G/Day!

Bees are my other passion ;) ;)

For really good health the Honey Bees (Apis Mellifera) prefer slightly salty water, hence Bonsai Pots with their salts contained in the fertilizers used.
Salt Water Swimming Pools are also a real attraction.

Why not put out a saucer of saline solution for the girls, topped up with gravel? that will draw them to a quieter part of your Bonsai benches. 8-) 8-)

A healthy hive will consume 1Kg of water per day during the height of the summer, so water is very critical to their survival.
They use the water among other things, to cool the hive which operates at a temperature of approx 35 Degrees Celsius.
Honey Bees can at times be aggressive but usually they will only sting if they are threatened or injured.
If you are buzzed, retreat some distance carefully and no harm is done.

The worst thing you can do is wave the arms and slap at the "buzzer" as the bee will release an "Alarm" pheremone and then you really do have to retreat to the indoors. The "alarm" pheremone will excite another 5 or 6 Bees who zero in on the area and it really is time to leave the girls alone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this adds and helps :roll:

Regards
Gary
<](:-))
Yamadori is purely Bonsai in spades
My Avatar is a female Apis Mellifera (honey bee) from before 2600BC
Up until now she has been responsible for pollinating 80% of mankind's fruit and vegetables
as well as 90% of mother earth's flowers. What if...............?
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BoNZai »

Thanks for the info gary.

Can you shed some light why the bees are attracted to my kelp emulsion? It looks like they are lying eggs above the water line in the drum. They just sit there and leave masses of white substance behind

Cheers

BoNZai
Deadwood
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Deadwood »

I am lucky enough to have European Wasps drink from the base of my pots. Not all of them make it back alive.

Ad.
My Mission - To own at least one tree that sends Shivers down your spine every time you look at it. ( Don't want much eh? )
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

BoNZai wrote:Thanks for the info gary.

Can you shed some light why the bees are attracted to my kelp emulsion? It looks like they are lying eggs above the water line in the drum. They just sit there and leave masses of white substance behind

Cheers

BoNZai
I dont think any old female bee in the hive can just start laying eggs randomly... so I would assume this was something else going on for you. Will be interested to see what Gary Bee has to say about it :)
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Bretts wrote:
No bees here, Just a friendly Magpie
wonder how friendly it will be in breeding season :lol:
It is Breeding season

I have found that if you feed them they will learn to recognise you and people you associalte with. Once you are their Mate, they will not hassle you again

I have done this over several locations and populations of birds and had the same response from them all
Very smart they are

ps
Maggies do not like red shirts. someone in red will get attacked before anyone else

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Gary Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Most
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai/Bonsai Society of Australia

Post by Gary Bee »

G/Day! BoNZai,

I'm not sure about the kelp, other than the Girls' preference for the salt. There could be other minerals perhaps that entice them.
The white substance has me baffled completely. Are you sure it is the bees which secrete this substance? :roll:

It certainly is not eggs. Only the Queen Bee lays eggs and she very rarely leaves the hive. Her eggs are laid in the bottom of each cell and are then attended to by the nurse bees who care for the egg and then the grub right up to the pupae stage when they cap the cell.

Are you positive they are Honey Bees BoNZai? :?:

I'm off to the Bee Club on Wednesday night, so I will ask a couple of the oldtimers if they know. :) :D

Regards
Gary
<](:-))
Yamadori is purely Bonsai in spades
My Avatar is a female Apis Mellifera (honey bee) from before 2600BC
Up until now she has been responsible for pollinating 80% of mankind's fruit and vegetables
as well as 90% of mother earth's flowers. What if...............?

Return to “Pests and Diseases”