Is this myrtle rust or something else?

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Is this myrtle rust or something else?

Post by gnichols »

I managed to do an aerial layer and it has been successful so far, new shoots popping out. But before I get too excited what is this on a few of the leaves. Looks like an orange stain and what looks to be white spores on the underside of some leaves. Also attached is a photo of the original tree, for ID purposes.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Is this myrtle rust or something else?

Post by Rory »

Your pics are very blurry.

Normal rust is one thing, but myrtle rust is a whole new ball game.
Generally, myrtle rust is noticeable because the new growth eventually becomes quite affected and sickly, depending on the severity of the infestation.

Myrtle rust (if one has it), will go gangbusters after a period of cloud, rain, lack of sun etc. Humidity, dampness, warmish and crowded conditions are a haven for the disease.

The yellow spores (wattle-looking) appear quite a while after it has taken hold, and form like a coating all over the affected area.
It is at this point that when you bump them, they disperse into a cloud of hell, that floats over into the rest of your garden.

At this point, your photo doesn't look like myrtle rust to me, but in future its best to get sharp photos for identification.
It is very hard to identify the very initial stages of myrtle rust, but because it is now endemic just about everywhere in NSW, its more an issue of treatment and management, rather than trying to eradicate it from your garden.

If you are worried, I would post another photo in a weeks time for us to look at, showing the areas with a clear photo, and no blurring.

Example of Myrtle rust:

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 36&t=26383
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Yakos
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Yakos »

This is not Myrtle Rust. See this link:
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/biosecurity/ ... yrtle-rust
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by gnichols »

Rory wrote:Your pics are very blurry.

Normal rust is one thing, but myrtle rust is a whole new ball game.
Generally, myrtle rust is noticeable because the new growth eventually becomes quite affected and sickly, depending on the severity of the infestation.

Myrtle rust (if one has it), will go gangbusters after a period of cloud, rain, lack of sun etc. Humidity, dampness, warmish and crowded conditions are a haven for the disease.

The yellow spores (wattle-looking) appear quite a while after it has taken hold, and form like a coating all over the affected area.
It is at this point that when you bump them, they disperse into a cloud of hell, that floats over into the rest of your garden.

At this point, your photo doesn't look like myrtle rust to me, but in future its best to get sharp photos for identification.
It is very hard to identify the very initial stages of myrtle rust, but because it is now endemic just about everywhere in NSW, its more an issue of treatment and management, rather than trying to eradicate it from your garden.

If you are worried, I would post another photo in a weeks time for us to look at, showing the areas with a clear photo, and no blurring.

Example of Myrtle rust:

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 36&t=26383
Next time I promise to not use the potato for photos

Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Yakos wrote: February 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm This is not Myrtle Rust. See this link:
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/biosecurity/ ... yrtle-rust
So you are aware, the pics on that website are when the disease is more advanced and easily identifiable.

Myrtle rust does not look like those pics when it first appears. That is many days, if not more than a week before it may start to look like that if the disease has got hold.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mitch_28 »

gnichols wrote:I managed to do an aerial layer and it has been successful so far, new shoots popping out. But before I get too excited what is this on a few of the leaves. Looks like an orange stain and what looks to be white spores on the underside of some leaves. Also attached is a photo of the original tree, for ID purposes.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Looking doing one myself. How thick was your material and how long ago did you do it?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by gnichols »

I'd say the bark was about 3 or 4 cm across. I started it December 2018. I put two on at the same time, the other one isn't quite ready. But this one seems to be feeling more secure in the pot after only a few weeks.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”