Lumpy growth

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Lumpy growth

Post by matlea »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the issue or cause of these growths are on the trunk and branches.

Thought it might have been gall wasp... or some kanker?

It seems to occur where the buds should be and rather than pushing out new growth it turns into a lump. Smooth at first but as you can see on the lower part of the trunk it changes.

The very lowest ones near the ground look like they are starting to push out some roots.

Is it time to bin it?

I think it might be a plum or something like that...

Thanks
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Lumpy growth

Post by Ryceman3 »

I’m no horticulturalist but that looks like some kind of canker to me, which I know plums (particularly on their own roots) are quite susceptible to.
If it is, it looks pretty widespread and I would suggest terminal for that tree so I think it might be time to extract it, particularly as it could spread the issue to other trees (plums, maybe even other stone fruit species?) nearby if left unchecked.
Is there any sap oozing/gummosis associated with it? That would be a reasonably common response from a tree that is infected.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

No gummosis, but I think your right in that it’s time to get rid of it.

Well at least I know what I’m doing this afternoon, along with getting rid of a few jacarandas that have self seeded and are getting out of control.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I'm pretty sure that is an apple of some sort.
The lumps are some sort of callus which helps heal wounds and is also the start of roots. Some varieties of apple are more likely to develop it than others. The dwarfing rootstock I have here does this a lot but it does make it far easier to propagate by cuttings or stool bed.
It may have something to do with high humididty close to that wall and with lots of other plants nearby.

I'm sure it is not a disease but if you don't like the look get rid of it by all means.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Thanks. I did pull it out as even the new growth was showing signs of having the callus formation....

On the up side more room in the ground for another pre bonsai
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Ever the optimist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

matlea wrote: June 13th, 2020, 10:58 am It seems to occur where the buds should be and rather than pushing out new growth it turns into a lump. Smooth at first but as you can see on the lower part of the trunk it changes.
I think removing it regardless was the best idea... like I said, I’m no horticulturalist but diseased or not what you describe above doesn’t sound like any normal growth I know of. If you were gonna keep it as a landscape tree I guess it might work as long as you can put up with the ugly trunk, but as a bonsai (which is always how I see trees :P ) this had nothing going for it. Better out than in! :yes:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Along the lines of disease it just occurred that I have also seen callus like this in cases of wooly aphid attack on apples. Any sign of cotton wool like stuff on the trunk or roots?
peaking of roots apples are very good at growing from any root left in the ground. You may be in for a year or 2 of suckers.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Lumpy growth

Post by matlea »

No, no wooly aphids, but the tree was already shooting from root suckers. Got them all out
And yes Ryceman once your taken by the bonsai bug every plant I look at I think ..bonsai potential?.... But you have to have control otherwise you end up with a whole lot of sticks in pots!

Return to “Pests and Diseases”