Hoppers/Psyllids - when to treat?

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tas natives
Bonsai Age: 2

Hoppers/Psyllids - when to treat?

Post by Brekel »

Hi all.
I noticed yesterday that I have a number of the below pictured bugs on a few of my trees. I assume they are either leaf hoppers or psyllids. They are tiny, maybe 2mm long if I recall. There was also a couple of aphids.

When is it best to let nature take it's course, and at what stage should I take action?
The plants are looking generally healthy, but one of the young oak saplings from this year has a couple of holes in the top leaves - may be some other bug that has done that. I did notice that some of the leaves on a birch (that had the aphids) did appear to have a shiny residue on the surface, but there didn't seem to be enough pests to have left a coating of honeydew.

I don't like to use pesticides unnecessarily, but I don't want to hold off too long if it will lead to a bigger problem. I do have some systemic Sharpshooter spray I could use (same active ingredient as confidor), or would consider other options.
20201129_134043 (1).jpg
20201129_134824.jpg
20201129_134359.jpg
20201129_134329.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer

Return to “Pests and Diseases”