What is this? Two plants, two problems

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

What is this? Two plants, two problems

Post by Beano »

Hi everyone reading! I have a few ficus microcarpa hillii bonsai in training and some have some leaf issues. I’m assuming this is caused by thrips which have left before the buds leafed out as there’s no leaf curl and no thrips anywhere nearby. But the shape is distorted and there is evidence of possible sap sucking damage on the leaf surface. Is it thrips or something else?

I also have some (not bonsai) mini-carnations in my front yard. There are two which have thrived and the rest have struggled. I’m wondering if this is the septoria leaf spot or some kind of wilt? It starts with the leaves turning purple and stunted leaf growth. The flowers on the ones that have struggled are abnormal as well. This variety is “Sunset boulevard”. The healthy ones in the square plot are a different colour variety and seem to be unaffected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: What is this? Two plants, two problems

Post by boom64 »

HI Beano , hate to say this but it looks a lot like Mosaic Virus .Lost a couple of nice trees to this one. Cheers John.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: What is this? Two plants, two problems

Post by Beano »

boom64 wrote:HI Beano , hate to say this but it looks a lot like Mosaic Virus .Lost a couple of nice trees to this one. Cheers John.
Oh no!! I assume you’re talking about the fig? I thought mosaic virus was only for rose bushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pests and Diseases”